Long Range Hammer Shot

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
We had a good afternoon shooting yesterday, in the end.

Fri night my wife and I went out for a drive on a quest to find a nice rock at long range to shoot at and try to video. We found some nice rocks at about 1700 yards. Looks good!

So yesterday Brian and I headed to the range to get a good zero set on the 300 rum with the Hammer Hunter 227g and do a load development for a custom rifle of our design in 7mm WSM and get a good zero for it. The 7mm is running the 177g Hammer Hunter. Development with the 7mm was perfect. 15 rounds down the tube and it was one hole at 100 yards with H1000 and muzzle vel of 3009.

The 300 was not as easy. We had load development done and just needed to zero it so we could head out for the rock shot. We had a Nightforce on it that had most recently been on my 30 Lap. That rifle had been struggling for a while now and we kind of suspected the scope, but that scope has been perfect for years on other rifles. Had bigngreen scope the bore for me last weekend and found what I suspected. SHOT OUT! So we transferred that scope to the 300 RUM for a long range shooting session. Sat down at the 100 yard bench to send a few shots and get the 100 dialed in perfect. Took the first shot and hit 3" high and .5" left. Dialed it down 3 moa and shot again. Impact .25" low and .5" left. Perfect! Dialed 1 click up and 2 clicks right. Shot and impacted 5" low. What the hell, there is a problem in paradise. So while Brian was doing the load development on the 7mm, I ran back to the house and grabbed another Nightforce from another rifle and ran back to the range. Got that one slapped on the 300, bore sighted it, and walked it into the zero in three shots and shot a nice sub .5 moa group. Gotta send one into Nightforce I guess. In its defense it has spent it's life on high recoil rifles and been drug through the dirt hunting over the years. It happens right?

So off to the rock. Got to the spot to shoot and some lady that was hiking took down our plate number. She seemed angry, what the hell. I was going to ask her if she would like to try too, but she wasn't very chatty. So after a bunch of time finding a good rock and trying to get a range, we gotta get a better range finder for this really long stuff. We start getting set up on the rock and there is some people climbing up the side of this really steep mountain a 100y below our rock! What the hell. So we pack it all up and drive to a different location all together.

We finally find a rock that we are getting ranges from 1600y to 1800y. Did I mention we need a better range finder? So we decided that we would walk into the rock and try to get video even if we really didn't know the range. This was the first long shot for the Hammer Hunter 227g bullet, so we really don't have a solid bc either. So that won't help in figuring out the range either. We tried to attach the video camera to a Nightforce rifle scope and video through it so that you could see the moa of the hits. Seemed like a great idea, but we could not get it to work. So the heck with the video, we gotta see if we can hit this rock. So I ran some calcs and determined that we needed 49.5 moa dial up. I ran out of moa at 48. So I held 1.5 up on the reticle and sent it. Caught a splash about 1.5 moa below the rock. So I held up some more for a couple more shots and landed bullet just to the right of the rock and one just below. This rock was sub .5 moa in size at this distance so we were very happy with the shots, but stopped there as we were really just wasting shots with out good data.

So we turned and found another rock with a nice white spot on it at 1100 yards. Figured we should send some shots and see if we could get some good drops to calculate bc of the Hammer Bullets. Both rifles pounded the little white spot perfectly. The 300 RUM took 23 moa to hit the white spot for a calculated G7 bc of .326. The 7WSM took 28 moa for a calculated bc of .266 G7. Boy did the full custom 7WSM shoot well. It had to be putting bullets into a 3" spot, really fun. I think I will be using this rifle and bullet combo to roll a bear before we send it off to the rightful owner. It's ok cause he is family and has no say in it.:D

So after all is said and done a good day. Changed the bc for those two bullets from estimated to calced from drops on the Hammerbullets.com web page.

Steve

Good read so far , was looking at the 338 and the 375 bullets soon.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Thank you.

The 307g .338 and the 395g .375 are out for an independent review now. Hopefully we will be hearing about that soon.

My hunting rifle is in for a barrel because the current 30-338 Lap imp is shot out. I was sure that I would be doing a .375 barrel for the 395g Hammer, then we did that 307g Hammer for the .338. Now I can not decide what barrel to order. I have to figure it out soon.

We may get out this afternoon and try the preferred rock where there were too many people. Too many people and trees here to shoot long range.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.