Long Range Encore Idea

DougH9

I want to build a rifle that is no more than 40" long, so that it will fit in a pack for hunting near home. An Encore with a 26" barrel just fits the bill (and I have a custom 270 JDJ No. 2 barrel ((like a 270 Gibbs)).

But, I like to shoot from prone with a lot of tension on the stock, and I think that an 2 piece Encore rifle will have major POI problems with this. So here is my idea:

Hand make a special 1 piece stock whereas the barrel will be blocked & bedded into the forearm, then the stock will open up in the action area to allow a standard pistol grip installed on the frame, then continue straight back to the buttplate. This way pistol grip will pivot down kind of like a falling block; the action will only be holding the casehead, and the pivoting breech will (should) not affect accuracy.

I could then shoot it in my style and (theoretically) not have any POI problems.

Has anybody ever seen anything like this...or, do you think it would work OK?

Doug,
I don't know of anyone who has done what you are talking about, but I have seen a pillar bedded forend, where they threaded into the barrel-Worked well with a heavy barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.