Long range accuracy & tree climbers

porkchop401

Howdy Fellas, I am from Louisiana and though I hunt leased land I also hunt public land where portable tree stands are a must . In our neck of the woods any shots over 300yds are considered long . The climbing tree stand with some type of rest is the preferred stand for covering a cutover or wrp .
I recently purchaced what I hope will be a practicle rifle for shots on deer out to 435yds (a forty) yet handy enough to hike with, and carry a stand on your back not to mention be handled in the stand 30' in the air. I selected a ruger 77 hawkeye ss laminant in 25-06 lh with a Meopta 3-9x40 . What suggestions might you fellas have for improving the setup , it shoots 1" moa with hornady 117 gr SST in a factory load. I will handload for next year, what accuracy is required for this setup to work . Also I selected the rather light caliber since a plate in my left sholder has left me rather recoil sensative. I will be beding the action and floating the barrel shortly the trigger is a crisp 4lbs but breaks clean your thouught please!

If all you're going to shoot distance-wise is across a 40 aka 440 yards what you have is workable! I'd take that trigger down to around 2.5# however!

I might also suggest you using a safety-harness from 30' up otherwise you may wind up with a plate in your arse!!

Sounds like the rifle will do the job. So, it really comes down to practice.

(a) chrony the ammo from your gun if possible and plug it into a ballistics program to develop your drop chart

(b) shoot from a solid bench or bipod/prone at various ranges to verify your trajectory; confirm the accuracy/repeatability of your turrets or BDC reticle

(c) practice shooting from the stand and under actual conditions to see the effects of the shooting position and wind

Practice in the field with your range finder. They always work in the store. But, ranging deer past 300yds in the field gets increasingly difficult if you're not properly equipped.

This may be common sense for a lot of folks. But, it's not so easy to put into practice for a lot of us that don't have access to wide open spaces.

Best of luck!!
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.