Long Range 243 winchester

heavy hitting 300

im stationed in norfolk virgina but i call north b
A couple of friends of mine that I go varmint hunting with like to use 22-250s for their rifle of choice. I've got my trusty old 243 in a ruger that i like to use for deer hunting and I was looking into getting a varmint rifle set up in 243. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a rifle under 700 bucks and loads to start with to get out there. gun)

Weatherby Vanguard or HOWA bolt action will give you a heavy barreled 243 with a 24" barrel for around 400$ You can get a Ken Farell 20 MOA base for under 100$. Thats what I would do. Then you got 300 to spend on scope.

I would use scope I have on hand work up hand load. Take all the info for hand load and rifle and buy a rifleman scope from leopold custom shop 200$ and have a custom recticual installed with drops out to 1000 yards.

You will need to know
Bullet BC
Muzzle Velocity
altitude where you hunt at the most often
there may be some other info

Should be close to 700

Jon

Remington makes a heavy barreled 243 with a laminated stock that you can bed and improve accuracy on. You might find a used one for $700. If you've seen the "How to shoot beyond belief" DVD, its the rifle that John Burns sets up for a kid. The kid later uses it to shoot balloons at 800 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.