long range 223

DogZilla

I watched a vid on youtube about some guys shooting the 223 in some cool rifle
at 1000 yards, the guy was hitting a 18 x 18 inch target constantly... and putting
dents in it... then i watched some guy using a 17rem doing a trash can lid at 800 yards constantly... then.. some guy shooting antelope at 1000 yards dead on with a 25/06 ... hammered that lope to the ground.. it didnt move...

this is all pretty cool... but its just not practical for the average joe hunter...and
its more about fiddling with extreme equipment than hunting...

anyone here ever really hunted ? like take a bow and hit the deep wilderness
and called in an elk to within 20 yards and shot it face to face ? tracked a lion untill it tree'd and took it with a bow ?

stalked a muley to within 30 yards and launched that arrow right on ...before it ever knew you were there ?

althought i love the forum... i just dont see how you can call shooting a deer at
1000 yards... hunting... its just target shooting...period.

perhaps im just a traditionalist ....

but..i see all kinda fun in shooting prairire rats at 300 yrds...:D

i must be messed up...:rolleyes:lightbulb:Dgun)

I watched a vid on youtube about some guys shooting the 223 in some cool rifle
at 1000 yards, the guy was hitting a 18 x 18 inch target constantly... and putting
dents in it... then i watched some guy using a 17rem doing a trash can lid at 800 yards constantly... then.. some guy shooting antelope at 1000 yards dead on with a 25/06 ... hammered that lope to the ground.. it didnt move...

this is all pretty cool... but its just not practical for the average joe hunter...and
its more about fiddling with extreme equipment than hunting...

anyone here ever really hunted ? like take a bow and hit the deep wilderness
and called in an elk to within 20 yards and shot it face to face ? tracked a lion untill it tree'd and took it with a bow ?

stalked a muley to within 30 yards and launched that arrow right on ...before it ever knew you were there ?

althought i love the forum... i just dont see how you can call shooting a deer at
1000 yards... hunting... its just target shooting...period.

perhaps im just a traditionalist ....

but..i see all kinda fun in shooting prairire rats at 300 yrds...:D

i must be messed up...:rolleyes:lightbulb:Dgun)
I see your point as im trying to get a deer with my bow. last year i said im done rifle hunting after shoot ing a nice buck on the run a 90 yrds opening mornin i just decided this to easy. but now that I found this site ive found a whole new challenge to keep things interesting. anybody can shoot a deer at 100 yrds but it takes a lot of work and dedication that a lot of people dont have to shoot deer or otherwise past 300 to 1500 yrds!

Oh hell, I'll take the bait too....

I'm new around here but like what I've seen so far. I thought you might be headed this direction after seeing some of your other posts.

I'm about 50/50 bow to all combined firearm kills on big game. Deer at under 3 yards with a bow to caribou at 400 yards with a 270win. I am a hunter, period. I think I have hunted eveything (big and small) PA has to offer except elk, no tag YET. I've hunted deer, caribou and waterfowl in several other states as well.

For ME, LRH is another tool and one I plan on getting better at. Just like a bow, in the wrong hands it can make all responsible hunters look bad. We MUST obey all laws and beyond that we call individually apply whatever self imposed restriction we choose.

Any legal harvest that I can relay to friends and proudly display without reservation is a success in my book. If I can't relay HOW I got the trophy because I'm ashamed of it, it wasn't worth killing.

If it's not for you... don't do it!

Best wishes,
Gene

Well... first, I am just lazy. I'd rather park and shoot. Hopefully it dies somewhere I can drive to or take a 4 wheeler in.:D Actually I would walk out to get it, but I'm not one to hike all over the mountain. Open fields all the way.

I just never got into archery. When I was a kid, my dad owned a sporting goods store, and I shot a lot. I did a lot of indoor competitions and 3-D shoots. I was a 3 time PA state indoor champ in my class. Granted I was 10-14yrs old when I achieved this, but that is one of my accomplishments.

I just never got into climbing trees, and waiting for a kill. I just don't have that kind of patience. I like long range because I can talk and move around a little. So that is pretty much why I long range hunt and shoot rifles.

Respectfully,
Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.