What Bullet/Load combo for .223 Long Range Coyotes

lgraham

I currently have been having trouble on getting coyotes to commit to the call and often have them "hang up" at the 350-500 yard mark. I have a .223 and would like to increase my effective range and be feel comfortable taking a coyote at these ranges. I plan to practice enough to have the skill necessary to make the shot but was wondering if someone could recommend a load that would work well for a .223 on dogs at this range. The .223 has a 21.9 inch barrel and a 1 in 12" twist if that helps. I would like to have a max velocity load to minimize bullet drop and increase performance at this range. I was thinking of either a 50 grn TNT or 50 grn V-Max in a compressed load but thought I would consult some advise from here first.

P.S. I know this is alot to expect from a .223 and a different caliber would be better suited to achieve these results. However right now this is what I have and need to use until I can afford a different gun.

Thanks,
Luke

Caliber is fine for dogs at 500 yards in my opnion, just keep in mind your biggest enemy is the wind with the 223. I would choose a heavy ,224 caliber round 67,77g SMK, 75g AMAX, 80g VLD, Nosler 77g OTM something along thouse lines. Try to mitigate the effect of the wind as much as possable.

60 grain v-max would be a good choice and perhaps so would the new 53 grain v-max that is specially designed to have a ballistic coefficient quite a bit higher than what is should have.

The new 53 is what Hornady loads in their superformance varmint load.

Best of luck to you with your challenge!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.