Long distance 25-06

muleyman

If a person was shooting a stout load with a berger type bullet and had a good rifle and shooting ability, what is a real life distance one could take deer, (including an occasional muley) at. Thanks

mm,
Pretty much the same distances (some less) as you would read for the 6.5-284. So many variables in the rig itself, field conditions, and shooter ability that I couldn't say.

Maybe the question is, what distance would you realistically like to achieve?

It depends how far you can place it into the vitals. It's supersonic well past 1k with 1100 ft-lbs at 700 yards. I wouldn't go past 800 or 900 yards even if I had the shot.

I"ve killed a few between 500 and right at 600 (muleys) with the 115g NBT @ 3200fps. Hitting the shoulder usually resulted in a DRT, behind the shoulder they ran about 20-30 yards and piled over.

How far are you wanting to shoot deer??

I would say realistically, that 800 would be the max (for me anyways), and thats using a 115g VLD or 125g Wildcat ULD. The added BC would help retain energy, velocity, and cut on the wind drift as compared to the 115g NBT. I've never tried the 115g VLD's, but I"m about to load some up right now and shoot them in a couple days. Dont know if I"m going to use them on deer or not, time will tell.

If you run the ballistics, the 115g NBT @3200 has 1000 ft lbs at 625 yards, and still traveling 2000fps. The NBT will reliably expand down to about 1500-1600fps, so by that number, you are at about 900 yards for reliable expansion, however at 900 yards your down to about 625 ft lbs of energy. Thats a little less then I personally want on deer, I like to have about 800 ft lbs and that would get you to about 750 or so with the NBT.

With the 115g VLD @3200fps, it will give you 1000ft lbs at 725 yards and still traveling around 2000fps, so it gives you 100 yard advantage over the 115g NBT. You could probly push 900 with the Berger or Wildcat VLD's as they still have about 800 ft lbs, and traveling 1750fps.

I would say it depends on what you think is the need for your energy and velocity requirements.

Still I think 700 with the 115g NBT is about max, and 800 with the VLD's, but thats just me.

I have only shot whitetail doe at 450 yds with my 26-06 I used to have using 110gr accubond and 115gr bt and they did a good job putting them down. Remmy man seems to have good advice. I have gotten away from the bergers just because they cannot be found locally like nosler products. For a deer cartridge I think 2506 is one of the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.