Locks are Made for Honest People - Gun Safes

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
If you are going to purchase a Gun Safe to protect your valuables do your research first.
We purchased our third safe about 17 years ago and mainly for Fire Protection and to slow down Thieves from robbing our firearms and valuables.
It is a Winchester by Granite Security Products.
I recently did some research because wanting to get another Larger Gun Safe.
There are videos on the internet showing how someone with battery operated tools can open a Gun Safe buy going through the door or sides.
Our current safe was expensive, but with the information on the internet and the new tools on the market it could be opened in a short time with not too much effort.
Don't just buy a Safe and get a False Sense of Security. Also have a very good Home Security System that is power backed up and wireless.
There is an increase in Home Break-ins especially around the Holidays when people are traveling and not home. The first thing these THIEVS look for are Firearms.
There are preventive things you can do especially with the outside of your home that could detour THIEVES before they attempt a break-in. Check with your Home Owner's Insurance for information.

We had thieves cut through a Conex with a torch......they missed a Acetylene bottle on the inside by about 6". I bet if they'd been over a little bit it would have made the news.
Also think about placement of the safe. If you can position it so using a pry bar in the door is impeded by a wall it increases time to get in, and BOLT it down!

There is a gent in the county here who built his own in a corner of his basement. The steel door on front has a hollow in it filled with Pyrodex and a torch sets nearby. Not exactly my idea of security, but he won't be broken into but once.
While I love it...the legality, in my state at least, says nope. Any type of "booby traps" meant to inflict harm to trespassers here is a big deal.

While I love it...the legality, in my state at least, says nope. Any type of "booby traps" meant to inflict harm to trespassers here is a big deal.
If you have explosives they need to be kept in a safe as well. If someone breaks in and takes a torch to your safe full of explosives where the intent is to keep them safe and away from people, that's on them. You did what you could to shield everyone from the dangers.
He does need to have it labeled. Some class 1 hazmat stickers. A danger, explosives.

If you have explosives they need to be kept in a safe as well. If someone breaks in and takes a torch to your safe full of explosives where the intent is to keep them safe and away from people, that's on them. You did what you could to shield everyone from the dangers.
He does need to have it labeled. Some class 1 hazmat stickers. A danger, explosives.
Powder, primers need to follow NFPA 495 Codes for storage. Really depends on the amount of explosives being kept and the type of explosives. Storage is kept in "MAGIZINES".
Also OSHA 1910.109 has information.
I had to deal with a lot of this stuff when I was a Safety engineer.
There is a big difference between commercial explosives used for BLASTING, DEMO and Reloading regarding LAWS.
Reloading Powders do not need to be kept in a SAFE.

There is a gent in the county here who built his own in a corner of his basement. The steel door on front has a hollow in it filled with Pyrodex and a torch sets nearby. Not exactly my idea of security, but he won't be broken into but once.
Hope he knows booby traps are highly illegal and if it ever went off he would go to prison too.

You can't even put-up Bob Wire or spiked boards if it is for ILL INTENT.
I run wires all through our Basement connected to things that will make noise if tripped.
I don't know if these are still around for sale, but years ago you could buy devices that took a 12 gauge BLANK and had trip wire connected. Would fire the Blank when tripped as a Warning or to scare animals away.

There is a member on LRH that built a SAFE ROOM into his basement with solid concrete and a bank vault door. He sent me pictures a year or so ago. That is when I would like to have.
When I built my house, I made a 12' x 12' room in my basement for my "gun room". It's block, core filled, for all four walls and has a steel door pinned into the block. Hinges inside and a heavy commercial deadbolt. Inside I still have two safes. Some could get in, but it will take time.

My wife's nephew is a sometimes public defender in Michigan (small area, all attorneys take turns) and an avid gun collector. He asked the thieves he represented which was the best safe. Don't remember the brand, but they said, oh, that one's really good, takes about 15 minutes.