Lock ease graphite in the barrel

Gregg C

Who's doing this? I saw a thread the other day, some folks were talking about it, now I can't find it. I got intrigued, and acquired some.
How do you apply it?
Should the chamber be protected ?

Inquiring minds want to know !

I would be a little careful doing this. Graphite will plate a bore and can be a challenge to remove if needed….. bore treatments have come and gone over and over the past decades and still most top end barrel makers will void your barrel warrantee if any bore plating process is used…. There is a reason why.

Who's doing this? I saw a thread the other day, some folks were talking about it, now I can't find it. I got intrigued, and acquired some.
How do you apply it?
Should the chamber be protected ?

Inquiring minds want to know !
I have had great success using Lock-Ease to smooth out the tiny fire-cracked spots. After cleaning my rifles I apply Lock-Ease with a bore mop, let it soak for an hour or more and then patch out the residue. Bore plating has not occurred. I have noticed that I have fewer flyers than I did before using Lock-Ease. Just remember to patch out the residue.

I have heard enough about graphite accumulations in bores not to use it. I do use a graphite containing lube for inside case necks for sizing.

Fiftydriver, whatcha think about Hex-Boron Nitride?
Some of the actual metal treatments certainly have merit as far as extending barrel life but these often change the steel structure in the actual barrel steel which makes the Bore often harder and more resistant to heat cracking and errosion.

any topical bore treatment or bullet treatment i shy away from. But again realize, i am a rifle manufacturer, if i recommend something to a customer that goes against the barrel manufactuers recommendation and something goes wrong, that is now on me, as such, i follow the recommendations of my barrel makers and pass that onto customers.

i have never been dissapointed with a top end barrel with a properly cleaned and maintaned barrel with no treatments. But again, i admit to being pretty old school.

have tested most of them just so i have some experience and will say most do nothing. Some offer minor improvements, some have some significant drawbacks. Again, i like a clean naked bore!! 😉

I have heard enough about graphite accumulations in bores not to use it. I do use a graphite containing lube for inside case necks for sizing.
I've not witnessed any negative side effects from using graphite in the bore in the time I've been using it. If I did I would post the results. So far its the best thing I've done with firearms cleaning/treatment to date.

I also strongly recommend using a top quality graphite inside the case necks. My good friend Shawn Carlock shared that trick to me many years ago to make neck tensions more consistent. This was back when i was doing R&D on my new 7mm Allen Magnum and any minor variations in neck tension would show up down range as vertical stringing simply because of the extreme nature of this wildcat. It prety much solved that issue without the need for annealing the case necks. Which is the proper solution but not one that EVERYONE has the ability to do easily. Graphite in the case neck works great and no worries at all effecting powder burn rate in any way!👍

Some of the actual metal treatments certainly have merit as far as extending barrel life but these often change the steel structure in the actual barrel steel which makes the Bore often harder and more resistant to heat cracking and errosion.

any topical bore treatment or bullet treatment i shy away from. But again realize, i am a rifle manufacturer, if i recommend something to a customer that goes against the barrel manufactuers recommendation and something goes wrong, that is now on me, as such, i follow the recommendations of my barrel makers and pass that onto customers.

i have never been dissapointed with a top end barrel with a properly cleaned and maintaned barrel with no treatments. But again, i admit to being pretty old school.

have tested most of them just so i have some experience and will say most do nothing. Some offer minor improvements, some have some significant drawbacks. Again, i like a clean naked bore!! 😉
Ha, nothing wrong with old school and certainly nothing wrong with a BUCK NAKED CLEAN BORE!!! 👍