Loads for 220 Swift Sendero

kfrye

Any new opinions on a particular powder that shoots exceptionally well out of a Swift in the VSSF II Sendero. The local gun club is ordering targets and reloading supplies and I would like to order an 8# keg of powder for my new gun to play with. I want to shoot a 53 gr Sierra Matchking out of the gun as long as the rifle likes it.

Searching here I found RL15 and H4350 to try.

A friend suggested IMR 4064 gave nice groups from his Ruger #1.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Last edited:
I would not buy 8 pounds of any powder before I knew that my rifle really liked it with the bullet I was wanting to use. I have owned 4 different Swifts and they all shot well, but neither one of them has preferred the same powder. More times than not though, RL15 is a pretty safe bet to work with. Others to try if you can before buying bulk is IMR3031 and IMR4831......don't think that IMR4831 is too slow a powder, best group I ever shot in a Swift was with it and 55 grain Nosler BT's.

My Swift likes RL 15 and IMR4831. IMR powders burn HOT! So you would be limited to about 3 shots then let the barrel cool. RL 15 will get you about 4-5 shots before you should cool the barrel.

Other powders to try would be Varget, IMR4064 and H414. H414 is a sphere powder so it should meter well.

I would also have to say to NOT get a 8lbs container of a powder that you are not sure your rifle will even like. The Swift is a temperamental thing and might not shoot something as well as in another rifle.

I have had great luck with Nosler 55grn Balistic tips, 55grn Siera BlitzKings and 50grn Hornady V-Max bullets out of my Rem 700. I have loads for each bullet that will put 5 shots in just about 1/4" at 100 yards if I am shooting well. I have also tried some of Richards 45grn P10 flatbase Wildcats. They shot exceptionally well.

Thanks guys,

I might be jumping the gun a bit, but I figured I can always use it up on breaking in virgin brass or plinking varmints at short range.

55 VMax and 36 grains of IMR 4064.... My Swift loves it.....

468383.JPG

Any new opinions on a particular powder that shoots exceptionally well out of a Swift in the VSSF II Sendero. The local gun club is ordering targets and reloading supplies and I would like to order an 8# keg of powder for my new gun to play with. I want to shoot a 53 gr Sierra Matchking out of the gun as long as the rifle likes it.

Searching here I found RL15 and H4350 to try.

A friend suggested IMR 4064 gave nice groups from his Ruger #1.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Try some AA-2700.

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.