220 Swift Pet loads

Mule

Looking for some favorite loads of folks for the 220 Swift to get me started. I just purchased a used Rem 40-X and would like to get started before the summer is over

Thanks

Mule

In my Rem 700 Varmiter, I use Federal Brass with a Federal Large rifle Match primer. Relaoder 15 is hard to beat in the swift. For 50 grn pills I use 40 grn even of Reloader 15. With 55 grn pills, I use 40 grn even of Reloader 15. The rifle just liked that charge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif These are TOP loads, so you might want to back off a few grains and work up from there.

The cart overall length is 2.770 in my rifle. This puts the bullets just slightly off the lands. Hope this helps. Good luck!

50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip/41.0gr H380 shoots bug holes in my custom 220 Swift. This happens to be the middle H380 load in the Nosler manual.

The classic Swift powder was IMR 4064. Most any powder in this burning range can work well, but don't burn out your barrel looking for the "perfect" load.

My buddy has been using 44g of H414 under a 55g Bal. tip in his Ruger for a couple years now and it works great on coyotes and rockchucks....

WW Brass
CCI-BR primers
VV-N160 Powder
44.0 grains (MAX LOAD IN MY RIFLE)!!
55gr Nosler Bal Tip
3900fps
Douglas custom barrel 27"

Or Use IMR 4831
42.0 grains (MAX LOAD MY RIFLE)
3850fps

My favorite load for the Swift is 41 gr. of VV N540 behind a 55 gr. NBT. This is good for a very consistent 4060 fps over the chrono and no dramatic pressure signs. In addition it shoots consistently under 1/2 MOA. I use Norma brass and Fed 210M primers. Use caution as this is undoubtedly an upper end load. I am sure my barrel life will not be forever but I am looking forward to rebarreling as an improved anyway (reduce my case trimming).

38g IMR-4064 w/55g NBT. Win case, Fed 210. Velocity was 3925fps and accuracy was .3-.5 MOA out of my Ruger Target w/26" tube.

I also used 45g H-380 w/40g VLC @4500fps. Truly devastating on squirrels and rabbits. Accuracy was .5 MOA.

I"d stick with the 55's for anything past 300 yards...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.