220 Swift Loads

hoghound

Has anyone shot the Barnes 53gr. TSX FB with exceptional accuracy at 100yds.

Typically I shoot the 55gr. Nosler BT with 43.5grs. of H-380 at crows and yotes but it does not perform well on hogs even on head or ear shots.

I have shot a hog at 250+yds with the Barnes and was happy with it's performance and would not hesitate to shoot a deer in the base of the neck at 100yds or less knowing the accuracy is there.

Just wondering if anybody out there had a pet load with this bullet. I do not have to have a 4k load just something in the mid 3750's to low 3800's will suffice.

Tim

Start with 36.0gr of RL-15 and work up till you get the speed you want.. I have a slow lot of rl-15 and I am pushing
55gr bst at 4,000fps with 42.5gr of rl-15.. Since you are using the barnes I would start at 35 or 36gr of rl-15 and check the speed on a chrono then add more powder..

Tim, I would back off the load that you are using with the 55g bullets 2.0g, jump the Barnes .030 and work up your load using the h380.

I shot a slug of 50g Ballistic tips with 44.0g of AA2700 with bug hole accuracy at 4000 fps, but when you go to the Barnes bullet, all bets are off.

The Barnes bullet is very hard to start in the barrel and there is a terrific pressure spike that you have to learn to deal with. Once you get the combo down, you have it made. All the Barnes XXX bullets that I have shot have been extremely accurate. Just remember that you have to jump a barnes bullet between .050-.020 and back off on the powder charge due to the bullet engraving pressure...you will not have any trouble.

Good luck!

Hey Keith, Do you have any other powder suggestions for the Barnes other than h-380. Which primers you think would be the best choice.

I baught a 300 savage from a gun show a few years ago for like $250.00. All I wanted was the 722 reciever to build a swift on. Screwed a #4 Douglas on it loaded the 55gr. Nosler BT under 43.5gr. of H-380 and shot 214's-220's at 100yds and left it alone. Haden't tried anything else till now. Oh I loaded about 5 rounds of the Barnes or so with the same recipe as the 55gr, bullet and shot a hog at 250+yds and really liked the performance it delivered.

I want the Barnes to shoot like the Noslers as I have an oppurtunity to shoot one of those beautiful black bucks and I want to make sure I can thread the neddle if I have to.

Later Tim

I had really good success with a Ruger and SAvage

Using AA2700 with the 50g Ballistic tip, fed 210, bullet seated to touch the lands. These two rifles shot bug holes at 100 yards at an honest 4000 fps.

While IMR 4064 is probably the old stand by for the Swift, it sure is rough on barrels in this caliber compared to the AA 2700.

My load with these two rifles was 44.0 & 44.5g of AA 2700 with the 50g Nosler. Due to the engraving pressures generated by the Barnes bullet, I would back off a full 5.0g and work up from there jumping the bullet .030-.050 to get the most accurate load, then play with the seating depth.

I will watch for your success with this cartridge and bullet as I am sure will many other people.

Good luck!

Re: I had really good success with a Ruger and SAvage

Tim ,
I had very good accuracy and velocity with H4350 in my Swift . One of my favourite loads was 44gns behind the 53gn Hornady match hollow point for 3900 FPS in a 25 inch barrel . This was with Winchester cases and gave close to 100% load density . Some makes have less internal capacity . Being a slow burning powder I think you'll have less problems with initial pressure spike . Good barrel and case life in the Swift with H4350 in my experience . Start at least a couple of grains lower .

Re: I had really good success with a Ruger and SAvage

Hey Keith, I did not have a lot of time before my trip to the Hill country to play with a load so I went with your advice as I know you know what you are talking about by reading some of your other responses especially about the 270 win.

Loaded the Barnes under 43grs. of AA2700 lit with the 210's and 30k jump. Shot 2 each 3 shot groups in the .120's at 100yards. I was really impressed and lucky to find a load right off.

I was succesfull in bagging me a Blackbuck. As soon as the swift barked he hit the ground. Thanks for the help.

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.