loading for a .30-06

RSDII- My wife is very strict with me also. unfortunately she never tells me i need to put together a rifle. a custom rifle is good , it takes time to get a barrel, action, stock and a smith to put it together though. if you get a sendero you could shoot right away. they do not come in 30-06 though. roninflag

RSDII- My wife is very strict with me also. unfortunately she never tells me i need to put together a rifle. a custom rifle is good , it takes time to get a barrel, action, stock and a smith to put it together though. if you get a sendero you could shoot right away. they do not come in 30-06 though. roninflag

Sounds like we need to take a poll... Has your wife every insisted you need to build a custom rifle? lightbulb

I wish I could find what I want with out having to get into the custom price range. All I really want is a .30-06 with the same barrel profile as my .308

A 24" inch barrel that is .820 at the muzzle for me is a perfect balance between stability and weight. its light enough to hump the hills with and heavy enough to take some of the thump out.

Not to mention that my .223 my .308 and my .30-06 when its finished will all weigh the same, handle the same and feel the same.

one thing for sure. my senderos shoot real good. the ones with a a krieger barrel shoot really really good. it sounds like you have a fairly heavy barrel. are you going to use a howa to build from??

All i have ever shot out of my Model 70 is Hornady 180 BTSP. I've taken 6 elk and who knows how many deer with my load. I must say it's a little over kill for deer. Bullet shoots completely through deer, but expands nicely on elk. Longest shot on elk was a bit over 300 yds. 57.2 grns H4831. Bought the gun new in 1968.

I am loading the 30-06 to 2720 FPS using RL17 from a 22" barrel. My oal is 3.41, the powder charge is 54 grains, and primers are CCI200. According to quickload I am at 65KPSI and my velocity was very close to the quickload estimate.

Plug that into a ballistic calculator at your hunting altitude and you will see is a solid performer out to 600 yards providing both adaquate impact velocity and energy to get the job done.

I am going to give Power Pro 4000 a try just for kicks also. Alliant shows it another 50 FPS ahead of RL17. If that is true and it groups that would be a real hammer from an 06.

McGowen barrel (told they are around $250+ finished)
Savage LA $375 Call the factory, they'll have'em.
Stocky's stocks, Bell and Carlson Duramaxx $89 or the Carbilite $144
SSS Barrel recoil lug $40
EGW Base $40
Millett Angle-Loc Detachable Aluminum 1" Rings $12
Vortex 4-16x50 Crossfire 30mm Rifle Scope $219

Total- $1025 with a semi custom finished ready to shoot rig (Not counting the shipping and tax). Price will very due to the stock options too. I saw they have an Aluminum bedded sporter stock for the LA now for $204.

Savage may even send you a barreled action and not have to worry about a recoil lug (to your ffl holder or firearms dealer).

Tank

Last edited:
one thing for sure. my senderos shoot real good. the ones with a a krieger barrel shoot really really good. it sounds like you have a fairly heavy barrel. are you going to use a howa to build from??

Truth be told Howa actions are tough as nails. the problem is finding a gunsmith in my area that has equipment to work with metric measurements. The more I think about it, the more I like the savage actions. From what I have been able to read, a shooter can build his own rifle in the garage with Savage actions. Most people don't like the look of the barrel nut but it doesn't bother me. Every time I think about this build I keep coming back to the fact that a shooter can install and head space a barrel with out the services of a gun smith with savage actions.

Most people don't like the look of the barrel nut but it doesn't bother me.
Everyone needs a nicely finished fancy walnut stocked rifle/shotgun in the gun safe for show and tell. ...and, a couple of ugly rifles that shoot bug holes under all kinds of weather conditions.

Truth be told Howa actions are tough as nails. the problem is finding a gunsmith in my area that has equipment to work with metric measurements. The more I think about it, the more I like the savage actions. From what I have been able to read, a shooter can build his own rifle in the garage with Savage actions. Most people don't like the look of the barrel nut but it doesn't bother me. Every time I think about this build I keep coming back to the fact that a shooter can install and head space a barrel with out the services of a gun smith with savage actions.

Amen!:D

Tank

Here's my home brew! I put the barrel on, the stock, barrel lug, base, rings, and scope. So far the smallest group is .628" at 100yrds and I have to tune a load for it yet. Those were rounds that I put together just to break in the barrel.:cool: I have a Stockade bolt and lift kit coming yet.

moz-screenshot.png
Christmas2011006.jpg

Tank

Agree on all points. I love my Howa's! Very tough and extremely accurate right out of the box. I would love to see the accuracy potential with a custom barrel and trigger! I can't imagine how good it could be. But I can't find anyone local either and can't do the work myself. So the savages sure do seem to fit the bill don't they!

McGowen barrel (told they are around $250+ finished)
Savage LA $375 Call the factory, they'll have'em.
Stocky's stocks, Bell and Carlson Duramaxx $89 or the Carbilite $144
SSS Barrel recoil lug $40
EGW Base $40
Millett Angle-Loc Detachable Aluminum 1" Rings $12
Vortex 4-16x50 Crossfire 30mm Rifle Scope $219

Total- $1025 with a semi custom finished ready to shoot rig (Not counting the shipping and tax). Price will very due to the stock options too. I saw they have an Aluminum bedded sporter stock for the LA now for $204.

Savage may even send you a barreled action and not have to worry about a recoil lug (to your ffl holder or firearms dealer).

Tank
I like that idea, I went to Shilens website and they can send me a savage replacement barrel in any profile I want chambered for anything I want. To a point a even get a choice in twist rates. This is turning out to not be as complicated as I thought. The price is in my price range.

I like that idea, I went to Shilens website and they can send me a savage replacement barrel in any profile I want chambered for anything I want. To a point a even get a choice in twist rates. This is turning out to not be as complicated as I thought. The price is in my price range.

You'll need the tools to set the head spacing and tighten the barrel nut. Wheeler engineering makes a great set. I bought the barrel nut wrench and the action wrench. You'll need a head spacing go and no-go gauges as well (well you can use a peace of sized brass, but to keep things from getting complicated the gauges are the best route). I swear it only took me like 5 to 10 minutes to get the barrel off, screw the new one on, set the head spacing and tighten everything down. Next step, 6.5x47 Lapua. Well actually I want a can for the rifle, but that will take some time.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.