loading for 338/378 weatherby

started low and at sammi specs for length but am now at 3.90 max coal seems to work in my little weatherbygun)

Been looking over this thread and a couple of old post by Kirby Allen that had a 338 Kahn which is the 338-378 improved. From what I gather under normal max loads with a 26 inch barrel the 338-378 weatherby (not improved) is just barely going to break 3000 fps with a 300 grain bullet. I'm talking about a factory gun. Has most of everyone that owns one found this to be true?. Reason being is I'm thinking about some 338's myself. I like the ideal of the 338 lapua improved but I always like a little more speed. With that said the 338 lapua improved may have a lot better brass life than the 338-378 weatherby improved when shooting close to max or at max case loads and make the 3000 fps from something like a 28 inch barrel. What I mean by max case loads something that does not give bolt lift issues and case markings. Max safe loads. Or just use my current 300 ultra mag to make a 338 edge. I know it probably wont produce the 3000 fps mark but it would probably be my cheapest option since I already have the gun. I could use the stock and action and have it trued up.

With 300 grain pills I have not been able to safely break 3,000 fps and that's out of a 28 inch Lilja. My go to loads with 300 Berger OTM have been 2,865 and 2,940 with H100 and Retumbo. Accuracy and brass life has been best in the high 2,800s. I tend to load for best accuracy/velocity.

As you probably already know weatherby brass is made by norma never had a problem with my brass and I have reloaded the same casings at least 8 times and I'm not loading light this is from a stock Weatherby 338/378 TRR .gun)

From the post I was reading the improved version gives you another 8 grains in the case. Also from what I read it should give you another 150fps in equal length barrels. So that would get the 3000fps mark. I don't know how much the Chey tac stuff is but that would be the next option up the ladder I guess. If I some day do the Chey tac version I might would go with a 375 and hope some day for some better bullets.

Or you can try the Excalibur same action and with a 30'' barrel it will get over 3100 fps with the 300 easy ......or over 3200 with the 285 A max.:D

I have been shooting the 338-378 since 1999 has been very good to me, I can run the 300smk at 3080-3090 very good case life. Also run the 252 CE at 3200 I like it better for terminal performance . By the way it is a 34 inch 10 twist

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts