loading for 338/378 weatherby

I don't believe Hornady is making any ELD-X bullets in .338 yet. They have the 285 grain ELD Match, which is the same bullet as the 285 grain A-max with the new tip. I haven't tried them myself but I have read of people shooting the 285 A-max with good results. Now that these bullets have a better BC due to the heat resistant tip I might take another look at using them. With a BC of .829, and probably shooting a little faster than the 300 Bergers, they could be great long range elk bullets.

I don't believe Hornady is making any ELD-X bullets in .338 yet. They have the 285 grain ELD Match, which is the same bullet as the 285 grain A-max with the new tip. I haven't tried them myself but I have read of people shooting the 285 A-max with good results. Now that these bullets have a better BC due to the heat resistant tip I might take another look at using them. With a BC of .829, and probably shooting a little faster than the 300 Bergers, they could be great long range elk bullets.

I have always shot A-Max in my 338 Edge.

I've been struggling to get 300 OTM to shoot in my 338-378.

I think a go with ELD-M's for both is warranted.

I have not used the hybrids but I do use the 300 grain elite hunters ...105.4 grains of N570 gets them going 2900 fps they are loaded longer than sami specs though

Another 338/378 shooter here. Mine has a 27 inch bartlien barrel with a 1 in 9.3 twist. It has been carbon wrapped by what is now proof research. I had it throated for a 300 gr SMK but have never tried one. I shoot the 300 gr elite hunters at 2940 fps with 112 gr RL 33 and a 215 federal primer. It is capable of a little more fps but my SD numbers are single digit and it prints tiny little one hole groups when I do my part. I have taken moose, elk, deer and antelope with this combo. Closest was 84 yards and farthest was 975 so far. WAY too much gun for deer and antelope though. Also I use reading dies

I have 3 Weatherby accumarks I use reloader 25 109 grains with 250 grain nosler partitions.I used these guns in Alaska 12 years awesome guns .I want to try some 300 grain lapua bullets I just got .Hopefully I get back to Alaska miss long range hunting there .I want a 30 inch 338-378 adds 300pfs .I need a good set of dies dont like the Rcbs ones I have they crush lots of cases unless I use boattail bullets .I still believe this cartridge and rifle is the best long range big game rifle !

i would look at hogdon website for most loads you can start there ... for vit n570 start at about 100-102 and go up from there

Yeah I am.getting.My.New scope for My.338-378 weatherby this week.I can't.wait to.load for.It again .I am going to try.mwc867 powder I.read it's the best powder for 250-300 grain bullets .I.hope it works I.bought.a bunch !

Yeah I am.getting.My.New scope for My.338-378 weatherby this week.I can't.wait to.load for.It again .I am going to try.mwc867 powder I.read it's the best powder for 250-300 grain bullets .I.hope it works I.bought.a bunch !

can you let me know how that powder works for you ?

I sure will I.hope to try it soon.I.just got my.reloader back. From.dillion my scopes mounted and my.bullets just came in .I hope that wc867 works bought a bunch of it .I am trying.it with lighter bullets first then working.up .I hope I.can find some good loads that powder is uncoated and temperature dependent .You.have to shoot it.below 80 degrees not at 97 .That's the way.it worked in my 264 win mag .

I.got my scope on ,bullets ready ,reloader fixed and now can't find reloader I have one pound which is about 56 shots in my gun .I hope it does not get to hot to use wc867 powder which I have enough of it just don't want to shoot it above 85 degrees .I hope some reloader 25 pops up no problems with it ! I bought a bunch of 225 grain accubonds and partitions too .I have to clean a bunch more of the moly coated 250 grain partitions so I can shoot them.They are for Alaska not here in Georgia .It should be soon good shooting all of you !

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.