Loading Barnes Triple Shock

I am new to this board; but I REALLY like it!!!

I have not reloaded the TSX bullets YET, but I was watching the video from Barnes; it said to "seat the bullet half way then rotate the case 180 degrees and fully seat the bullet. I do not remember if it said why, I just remember that was their recomendation. Maybe this will help.

To ensure they seat(more like, slide into the neck)straight. Havent had to do this with the TSX.....but a XBT load would scrape a slice of copper off the side of the bullet unless I did the half turn thing.

I've always done that with every bullet I've loaded. As far as distance from the lands I've got a factory bbl on my rifle so I just load it to as long as it will reliably load into the magazine. I can touch the lands with the bullet about 1/10" into the case so I'm pretty far off...freebore city...

[ QUOTE ]
I've always done that with every bullet I've loaded. As far as distance from the lands I've got a factory bbl on my rifle so I just load it to as long as it will reliably load into the magazine. I can touch the lands with the bullet about 1/10" into the case so I'm pretty far off...freebore city...

[/ QUOTE ]

I borrowed a Stoney Point OAL at first and since have bought my own to be able to know how far off the lands I am. I first loaded my 300wsm with 150gr Hornady SST's and did not like the groupings. At the suggestion of a friend, I tried the Barnes and was impressed as the groups were tighter and when I found the "sweet spot" found I was 40 thousands off the lands. I will use the OAL gauge on all my loads from now on!! Reduces the guess work and allows me to find the "sweet spot" faster.
I shot a cow elk at 675 yards with this combo this past year, waaay past what I usually shoot. The Triple Shock performed great with a pass through shot.
My rifle is a factory Remy, so I have to watch the OAL length as well, Triple Shocks will challenge a factory mag well for sure!

Your trouble is in the brass, NOT bullets......

brass not the bullets. The cases have work hardened and are retaining the memory of the chamber which they expand to. You may have a HUGE chamber which will work the brass very fast with 4 or so firings, if that.

You have two choices, anneal the brass or discard it.

We have been loading the 140g Tripple Shock bullet in the 7 mag and 7 STW and they generally like a .030 jump to a .050 jump for extreme accuracy.

ONe thing about the Tripple shock bullet, they copper foul much less than a Nosler bullet no doubt...big shock from going from a regular barnes bullet which copper coats your barrel.

I loaded up some Barnes Triple Shocks to be used in two Model 7 rifles. They are both in 7mm-08 and are early models with the 18.5" barrels. We are using the 120 grain bullets and my first load with RL-15 and .050" off the lands produced 1 moa accuracy in both rifles.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.