Loading Barnes Triple Shock

bonesan

Anybody had difficulties loading Triple Shock bullets? I am trying to load them for my 270 WSM. Many of the bullets seat improperly, erratically, and often loose. No other bullet has given me problems. Dillon Press, Redding dies. Thanx.

I did notice that they seat alot easier than anything else I have used. I assume it is because of less bearing surface caused by the flutes. I also noticed hat the bullets vary in length up to 10 thousands. I had a little issue trying to fit them in the mag of my 300SAUM just using max COL, measuring to the nose.

RidgeRooster

I tried them and had so much trouble that they haven't been used since loose necks, shot like crap. Not impressing with the ones I tried

I've been loading and testing alot of tsx and have not noted a problem. It should be easy to sort out the culprit with your calipers. If loading for a 270 the bullet had better be .277 in width and the case mouth had better be .274 or under so it has at least .003" grip.
I've played with a couple wsm's and noticed that dies and brass are "interesting" to say the least. Some brass is really really thick and has alot of spring back. Some gets sized almost too much. I'm not sure the die manufactueres have had an easy time trying to figure out exactly what dimensions to make the interior of the die because of the brass inconsistancy.
Once again.....your caliper will help you sort out the situation....it is a wonderful "deliar"!!!!!! Good luck.

I have been loading them up for my 7mm-08 (120grn tsx), have had no problems seating them at all.
I found they were better if seated in further than other projectile types.
Accuracy is great.
Lyman press, hornady new dimension dies, Remington brass

Just started loading the 180s for my 300WBY great so far. Havent had a chance to run em over a chrono or at any longer distances, but they are shooting well at 100. Didnt notice any of the described problems.

I have found the Triple shock to be very accurate and had no problems loading it for both 300wsm and 308. They do perform better with a "jump" to the lands and grooves.

What type of brass are you using? I have had trouble with seating barnes before but it turned out that it was the brass, it was too hard. I found that when I annealed it the problem went away>

Hope this helps, RH

They've ben working great in my STW. I'm using a forster micromiter seat die and a rock chucker. I haven't noticed much difference in seating pressure from any other bullet I've tried. You can feel the grooves while the bullet seats though.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.