LoadData.com????

RDM416,

Not to rain on any parades here, but I'm going to disagree with you here and strongly suggest to Dennis that he not accquire Glen's Handloading for Competition. Not just yet, anyway.Glen's a long-time friend of mine and I'm not trying to undercut his sales, but we're talking about a novice reloader here. Glen's tome here is going to confuse the hell out of him and probably get him worried about a lot of things he won't really need to be concerned with for quite some time. Stick with the more basic manuals and texts, and master the rudiments of handloading ammunition. Once he's got that down pat, then it'll be time to work into the more advanced aspects of this game.

Some of us have been doing this for quite a while and tend to forget what it's like to be a newbie in this field. Nothing makes sense, lots of seemingly contradictory information and opinions and a whole new language. Ogive? Meplat? Bearing surface? You get the idea. I'd strongly recommend Glen's books and he's a great resource, but he's definately a better fit for the more advanced handloader. Fair enough? :)

Last edited:
I can only echo what a few others have said. Get a decent manual. My favorite is Hornady as it has a great introduction on fundamentals of reloading, ballistics, as well as load data. Old manuals are ok for the process, but powder characteristics does change throughout time. As powder changes the loading data changes. What was safe 10-20 years ago may not be safe today.

I am a subscriber to loaddata.com. I am impressed with it so far. Other sources, I can't say the same. There is no friggin way I would use data that was only found on a hunting/shooting/reloading site. I prefer to cross check reloading manuals and make sure the data is in the same ballpark anyway. It's way too easy to fat finger data entry to take it for gospal.

Also, commercial data is not written with a "lawyer bias" in place. I have checked data with pressure equipment and it did follow the SAAMI specs. I would trust measuring equipment over trailer park ballistics experts.

With the number of reloading websites with good information, can't see spending the cost
of a reloading manual yearly......
Nosler has their own web site. you can call the tech at Sierra and get a wealth of information.
As with the information on the web today why pay.....
Just 30 dollars richer and looking to buy a new reloading manual, money saved over the years
priceless........

The manufacturers who print reloading manuals usually don't have all the load data in their manual available for free online. They leave stuff out.

They wouldn't sell many manuals if they gave all their info for free.

LoadData gets ALL the info and also has all the loads printed in 40+ years of Handloader and Rifle magazines.

Heck, I probably lose $30 every year in my couch!

I use the site. It is good for load development research. Geared more toward general hunting/shooting than long range but good just as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.