LoadData.com????

DennisPA

Does anyone here use this pay website? Is it worth the money? I'm just getting started in reloading and most of the books I have a edition or two old. I'v read that later editions are no longer valid when a new edition comes out. I would think they are still safe to use unless there was a change to a powder or something. I'm just thinking for the few calibers that I would be reloading would it be cheaper to pay the $30 a year and print stuff out over buying new reloading books all the time. Thoughts?

Go to reloadersnest.com all kinds of info there. You can also google what ever caliber your loading for and you'll get links to different forums where other people talk about there loads. That's what I do and its worked pretty good for me. Hope this helps

Nathan

x2, has worked well for me too. i also like reloadersnest, some good info on there. what are you going to be reloading? lots of good info and helpful people right here on this site.:D

If you are just starting, get the BOOKS. Much more info than just "load data" is available in the major reloading manuals. Also, having (and reading) the books allows you to search the "net" safely. I.E. you don't know who posts on the net, a serious shooter or some web genius with more "on line" time than trigger time. Take the web info with a grain of salt until you know a little more about reloading.

My current plan is to relaod for my 22 Hornet first. Then move on to 220 swift, .243, 25-06. My thought is that the Hornet would be the safest place to start. Then move on to the larger calibers after I have some sucess with the Hornet. From the books I have my plan is to use Hodgon's LIL'GUN, Hornady 40 grain V-Max, Remington 6 1/2 primers. I have 5th edition Hornady book that I plan on using the load data from. That's the basis of my questions would the $30 be better spent getting a subscription to LoadData.com for a year or buying a new Hornady book?

My current plan is to relaod for my 22 Hornet first. Then move on to 220 swift, .243, 25-06. My thought is that the Hornet would be the safest place to start. Then move on to the larger calibers after I have some sucess with the Hornet. From the books I have my plan is to use Hodgon's LIL'GUN, Hornady 40 grain V-Max, Remington 6 1/2 primers. I have 5th edition Hornady book that I plan on using the load data from. That's the basis of my questions would the $30 be better spent getting a subscription to LoadData.com for a year or buying a new Hornady book?

New book, in my opinion. Many changes from year to year in components warrants new data. Also, the smaller the case, the larger the chance of error (percentage wise) in charge level. I would start with the .243 or 25-06 first, both very easy to load for and great to begin with.

I use all the books and Loaddata. I also use reloadersnest and several other websites. My thought is you can never have too much info. Loaddatta puts the new datta on the site as it becomes available.

If you are just starting, get the BOOKS. Much more info than just "load data" is available in the major reloading manuals. Also, having (and reading) the books allows you to search the "net" safely. I.E. you don't know who posts on the net, a serious shooter or some web genius with more "on line" time than trigger time. Take the web info with a grain of salt until you know a little more about reloading.

While this may be true of reloadersnest it is NOT true of LoadData.

Users cannot submit loads to LoadData. The info comes directly from the bullet and powder manufacturers published data as well as 40+ years of loads published on the pages of Rifle and Handloader magazines.

Nothing wrong with the printed manuals, I have a ton of them, but LoadData is the most complete resource there is for the reloader.

Easily worth every penny of the subscription cost.

no previous knowledge of loaddata.com other than I wish it would not come up when I google a particular caliber only to see that it is pay data.

I would just caution starting loading with the 22 hornet, it has a propensity to be finicky on load development, it has a thin walled case with tons of taper and can be crushed easily. I would suggest starting with the 243, it in my opinion would be far more forgiving for the novice loader in all aspects.

Completely agree with MTBULLET and Comfisherman here. The 22 Hornet is a great little cartridge, but it has some quirks. Thin necks are one, making proper chamfering and straight bullet seating a must. Anything less and you'll collapse those necks in a heartbeat. It's also very touchy in terms of charge weights. As MT pointed out, it takes a very small increment in such a diminutive case to see some dramatic changes. A change of .5 grains in a 243 Win. isn't going to be a major deal with any reasonable loads. With the Hornet, that may be the entire range of data in a Hornet, from minimum starting load to absolute maximum.

Good things may come in small packages, but where cartridges are concerned, bad things happen fast in small packages.

Wow I got alot more out of this thread then I expected! Thanks to all of you for all your help. Now that you mention it what your saying about starting with the .243 makes perfect sence. I have a 4 day weekend for the 4th so I'm hoping to get some reloading and shooting done. Thanks again.

DennisPA,

Get the book "Handloading for Competition" by Glenn Zediker. This will have the all the "how to" info you will need to load great ammo.

+1 on what the other guys are telling on actual load data. The sites they mentioned as well as here and just google should get you all the data you need. Also you can get quite a bit of data from the bullet and powder makers.

Definitely get yourself several reloading manuals. They don't necessarily have to be the latest editions. Since you're new to reloading, read the 'hot to' sections of each manual. This will give you some perspective on the varying tools and techniques you can use. The load data and cartridge dimension data is also nice to have on the shelf at your finger tips.

In terms of online sources for load data, here's a great resource...

Steve's Reloading Data Pages

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.