Load tips for a 243 40-xb

tinman

I just bought a 40-xb 243, and was wondering what loads some of you use. I thought about using some Berger bullets, I have new Laupa brass and some 55 gr Noslers laying around also. I currently use Varget in my 22-250 and 308 and kind of want to try it in my 243. Also my gun is a 10twist barrel. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
James

42.5 gns Varget with 70gn Nosler Ballistic tip , Win cases , Rem 9 1/2 primer- 3550 FPS . 4 shots into 0.15 inch .
41.5 gns Varget with 75gn V Max 3515 FPS .
45.5 gns Varget with 55gn Nosler gives about 3940 FPS .
All loads maximum but safe in my Remington .

James
Sorry about delay . The 70 Nosler load has been the most accurate tried so far but I'm still playing . Varget may not be best choice for over 70gn .Have tried WXR with good results velocity - wise and accuracy around 1/2 inch for 5 shots .

Since my original post I've tried some 88gr bergers and laupa brass and br2 primers, with IMR 4895, shooting at 100yrds its right handy to .4's consistantly after I got it broke in. I might try some Vihtvuori of some kind also. I did try the 55gr's with varget shot fast and pretty accurate .75's good enough for me if I was varmint hunting. I do want to try some middleweight bullets like 65grs to 75grs and see what they do. Thanks everyone

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.