load testing non result: any ideas?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by emn83, Nov 5, 2012.

1. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

so, I took the rifle out today to do some initial testing, just to see what she can handle, max load wise. Found out, that the temperature of the powder really makes a difference, and so does distance shot. I am shooting a .308 win, here are the specs on the load(s)

Hornady brass
    Federal GM210M primers
    Berger 155gr Hunting VLD
    Varget (40-47 grains)

The tempurature today was 34 degrees when I was shooting, it was about an hour from when I started to when I finished, fired 17 rounds total. I was only shooting 100 yards. Today I was planning to see what my max load was, as well as do an informal initial ladder. since I was using an extreme powder, I was hoping that the later cartridges cooling over time wouldn't have that big a difference. I was wrong.

Here's my target:
    [​IMG]

obviously, there,s no real usable data from the target. In addition, looking at my brass, I got a very slight ejector mark at 46.0 grains, but that was it for pressure signs. I think I learned my lesson, I think I'll be waiting till it's warmer to do load testing for real, in 5 months.

putting 17 rounds in a 1.52 inch group at 100 yards, when there's a 7 grain spread in powder charge, has me questioning my sanity a bit

2. green 788

green 788 Well-Known Member

It's just a good rifle, and good bullets... and the powder charges are all working well.

I would do an OCW work up... then you'll really find out what's going on... you can find my OCW page from the bangsteel site linked below... there's a link on OCW consulting page... the system works. :)

Dan

3. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice! with how the target racks are at my range, it's hard to set up multiples to do an OCW, that's why I was thinking about doing a ladder. Thinking that if that wide a range in powder charges gets me that group, when I find the sweet spot, the rifle is really going to shine

4. Joe King

Joe King Well-Known Member

Since you saw ejector marks at 46gr, I would just back off 2% which is 45gr and go with it, I bet when your seating depth is sorted out and you find the primer it likes, it'll drive tacks. Trying warm temps with a Hodgdon extreme probably won't show you much. I'm also betting that you would have seen similar results at 80*:)

5. 4ester

4ester Well-Known Member

How do you complete a ladder test at 100 yards?

Thats way too close if you are trying to find a node.

6. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

yeah, I'm backing it up for the real test. was more just curious. My range goes out to 450, so, I'm planning a 300 yard test in the future

7. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

so, I'm thinking, since I saw that ejector mark at 46, to use that as my top end MAX load. I have tomorrow off, so I was thinking about going out and shooting some 3 shot groups with 44.4-45.8gr, loading .2gr increments. From there, I'd take the top 3 for grouping, and do some more testing. what do you all think?