Load problems maybe?

bushwackr

Hi all

I just got a new rem m700 7mm stw. I loaded a few rounds just to try it out. The first shot felt good, I went to remove the spend round and it wouldn't extract. When I got it out it wouldn't extract after firing also. My load is a mellow load

New unfired nolser brass
74gr imr7828ssc
Fed 215 GM primer
speer 160gr #1637 loaded to 3.530" according to speer manual

fired brass very hard to chamber (it wont), new stuff and the other loaded round is like butter.
I am at a loss, I dont know what to think. Any suggestions, this is the first time I have ever had a issue with handloads. Maybe chamber proplem with the rifle?

Where did you find the data ? I checked my Speer data and it lists Remington brass, CCI 250 primer starting at 72 grains with IMR 7828, no data for the SSC version.

Sounds like pressure problems to me, the 215 is a pretty hot primer and Remington brass may have more capacity than Nosler.

Bob

Yep my manual says start at 72 , 76 max. I guess ive always used the 215 match magnum primers. I figured i run mid weight charge and says to use magnum primers. It was also -10 Deg so I sure wouldnt think that I would run into pressure issues. As for the powder, I was told that the only diffrence in the reg vs ssc powder is that it meters better thru a measure.

ok now I looked at the sierra manual and it shows for a 160 gr 70.8 start to 76.3 max thats on a boat tail bullet not sure what that matters besides case volume. With 7828 not the ssc

Well I'm sure that it is not my reloads. I went and loaded up 2 rounds with diffrent powder lowest load show, first was 75gr h1000 case stuck, second was 66gr of H4831sc that case stuck also. So I assume its the rifle. I think im going to have to head to a smith.

A few years back i had a similar issue with a 7mm Rem Mag. My problem ended up being a simple cartridge length issue I missed trimming a few cases and when fired I would experience sticking bolt/hard extraction etc. I believe you have new brass so this maybe a moot point.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.