Load development for AR question

Ryeguy

When doing load development for an AR. After powder charge does it pay to mess with seating depth since you're restricted to mag length? Does anyone one find a better group being that far from lands? Or is it best to load max mag length? Can't remember how far off lands max mag length was but I think it was around 60-80thou.. 224 Valkyrie-Savage.

I don't mess with overall cartridge length with ARs when developing a new load. The jump is so far at mag length, that jumping it even further is highly unlikely to improve matters. I've not had any challenges coming up with a good load at mag length.

When doing load development for an AR. After powder charge does it pay to mess with seating depth since you're restricted to mag length? Does anyone one find a better group being that far from lands? Or is it best to load max mag length? Can't remember how far off lands max mag length was but I think it was around 60-80thou.. 224 Valkyrie-Savage.
When talking 60-80thou in the throat no need to do seating depth of just a few thou. I load out to the max of my mag because I try to mostly use heavier bullets. Even take the front plate out of the mag for some more room.
Good luck with getting a good powder load to match the bullet & Barrel.

I load to just shy of mag max. I make sure I can mag dump with zero issues. Reliably is the key with auto loaders.

Same here. I will adjust powder charge or swap out primers to fine tune the load. I have found that with most ARs a few thousandths of seating depth has almost no effect on group sizes.

One more thing to add. You have to be realistic on how small your groups are going to be with an AR. There are so many moving parts and other variables that come into play that bolt gun accuracy is almost impossible to achieve. I have a couple of ARs that are very accurate for what they are, but they are not even close to my accurate bolt guns.

Same here load just under mag length and if it doesn't shoot change powder charge or powder.

Remember bullets play a part in this. Ones like hammers, cutting edge and Barnes don't seem to care as much about jump as cup and core. Never had a tough time with either. I'm currently working on a 300 win mag ar load now. Seems on this if I load to mag length I can actually hit the lands but using the hammers I set them to coal in nosler book and gonna run it

I always seat to 2.260, use cci41 primers, light crimp, and work on powder load.
I also load on the high end of loads, usually back to mil specs and pressure.
I have never had a problem coming up with very accurate loads.
This is just what I do so you might want to listen to some of these other guys
This is with 5.56 loads.
My ar10 loads are similar