lightweight, very stable tripod for spotting scope

wildcat westerner

Hello,
Two hunts this fall will require more time spent by me behind a spotting scope than ever before. I am seeking a tripod that is both light and extremely stable. I know I can build a suitable structural nylon platform that will allow me to traverse the tripod .. I also know the frustration in windy areas with a medium weight spotting scope and a lightweight tripod that made for very frustrating spotting due to the constant movement of the device. I know aluminum extrusion tripods rattle much too easily, so that factor leaves those out of this discussion.
Thank you in advance for serious insights.

WW

Hello,
Two hunts this fall will require more time spent by me behind a spotting scope than ever before. I am seeking a tripod that is both light and extremely stable. I know I can build a suitable structural nylon platform that will allow me to traverse the tripod .. I also know the frustration in windy areas with a medium weight spotting scope and a lightweight tripod that made for very frustrating spotting due to the constant movement of the device. I know aluminum extrusion tripods rattle much too easily, so that factor leaves those out of this discussion.

WW
I use 4 and 5 pound tripods, and still hang items from tripod to add stability. In windy conditions leaning rocks on legs also can help.

Hello,

WW
Light and "extremely" stable isn't realistic at all. If you want extremely stable, you have to go extremely heavy. But for lightweight and stable enough tripods, I'd check out Slik 634, Slik 734 and the Suiri TS 124

Learn to use your backpack. Every tripod I tried we either dumped trail head due to weight or bulk or it was too flimsy.

You get what you pay for in tripods. For long range spotting (Coues deer last year) with a pair of Swaro 15x56's on top, the BENRO TAD27C is fantastic, for light weight and packability! Not cheap at $269, but worth every penny. Only 3 lbs, so hang your pack on it when hunting. They are a favorite with Outfitters in the southwest I can tell you that. I was so impressed with my Outfitter's last year that the first thing I did when I got home was order one! Anybody need two cheap plastic p.o.s. Vanguards?

Last edited:
I have a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and Miller Air fluid head. It's a great system for range and field use.

I've tried a lot of tripods trying to find both light and stable. What I've found is the light ones generally have flimsy heads. I feel a strong head is more important than big heavy legs (no dirty minds here). Of course the legs can't be too skinny, but the sturdiness of the head I have found is more important for stable panning and to hold heavy binoculars, spotting scope, etc. In the field, you can always add weight to the legs by hanging a rock or backpack between the legs or sit instead of stand, but you can't do anything in the field to improve a flimsy head from vibrating/moving when your eye/hand touches it. My suggestion would be to look for one with a strong panning head and less about the leg size.

Last edited:
Couple of things, the lighter the weight the less stability you have, that's just the way it is. What do you mean about the aluminum tripods being out of the discussion? If I was going to buy another tripod it would be an Outdoorsmans', they're aluminum, stable and light. I currently have a Sirui ET-1204 (might be the 2204, can't remember) with a VA-5 head. I really like this tripod but it's kind of heavy at 3.5lbs. For me, flip-lock legs were a must and the price was great at $300. I had heard great reviews about the head and I agree, it's amazing, but again it's heavy. I'm considering getting an Outdoorsmas' head to put on it to take some of the weight off. My tripod is stable with a 65mm ATX on it, I would slightly hesitate putting a 95mm on it since I do think that would be on the edge of its capacity, but I'd still like to try it.

Took this photo using my phone through my spotting scope at about 1 mile.

Attachments

• 874342F7-3E69-4EBF-99B7-A80FED1F41E9.jpeg
    874342F7-3E69-4EBF-99B7-A80FED1F41E9.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 62
Slik 634, has a place in my pack for good. Great compromise between stability and weight. Heavier tripods are for the truck.