Lightweight muzzle brake for 338

Bowpredator85

Hey guys-

I'm looking for firsthand experience with lightweight muzzle brakes for a 338. I'm thinking titanium. I don't want one similar to the Christensen arms as it has ports all the way around. I'm looking for something that doesn't have ports on the bottom that won't blow so much dust up. I saw a post about elk meadow's titanium 1.2 ounce muzzle break. Does anyone have experience with this one or any other recommendations? I want something light but effective as this will be a lightweight hunting rifle. Right now I'm sitting at about 6 1/2 lbs rifle alone.

Thanks

Call Rich Reiley at High Tech Custom Rifles in Colo Springs, Co. He put a Brake on my .340 Wby that is contoured to barrel diameter. It is very effective, recoil is very mild now. Not sure if he makes anything with no holes on the bottom, but he makes them himself, so maybe he can fix you up.

Hey guys-

I'm looking for firsthand experience with lightweight muzzle brakes for a 338. I'm thinking titanium. I don't want one similar to the Christensen arms as it has ports all the way around. I'm looking for something that doesn't have ports on the bottom that won't blow so much dust up. I saw a post about elk meadow's titanium 1.2 ounce muzzle break. Does anyone have experience with this one or any other recommendations? I want something light but effective as this will be a lightweight hunting rifle. Right now I'm sitting at about 6 1/2 lbs rifle alone.

Thanks

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I know it's not what you're asking but when it comes to recoil, weight is your friend. Not a fan of the radial type (holes all around) but you have a lot of effective muzzle to choose from.

Do a custom search for "muzzle brakes" on the top right corner and you'll see what I mean.

Hey guys-

Thanks

I have an Elk Meadow three port .750 Ti on my Remington Sporter barreled 338 RUM (.660" at the muzzle). It is light and effective for all bullet weights up to 300 grains, however it's most comfortable with 225s. What bullet are you planning to shoot?

Probably 250's but I'm going to try out different grains to see what it likes the most. Glad to hear some first hand stuff and some new ideas. Thanks for your help.

I have one of the elk meadows brakes as well. It's a great break. I have it on a 300 rum. I shoot 230's out of it. It was night and day when I had it installed. You don't even feel the thing is one the barrel. Down side is with any brake is they are loud. Also since its ported on the sides and top you sometime cause people to move at the range ☠. Which its really less destracting when no one is setting beside you. My 2 cents

The Pain Killer Brake on my 300AX has recoil down to just slightly more than my youth model 243 with 80gr bullets. It only weighs 2 ounces.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.