Lighten up, dude!

Miles Killian

I'm 65 with orthopedic and cardiac issues and just can't pack around the stuff I used to even though i stay in pretty good cardiovascular shape by riding a mtn bike about 50 miles a week. So my plan is to lighten up my gear starting with my boots and ending with my rifle which is currently an AR-15 platform suppressed SBR in .223. It has an 11" barrel so you might not think it to be too heavy but it's 9 ¾ pounds without ammo. What are your thoughts and suggestions?
Thanks

The Faxon ION ultralight weighs 5 lbs with a 16" barrel, forged receiver, carbon fiber handguard, and a brake. Maybe you can modify your SBR to save weight. I'd think yours would be pretty light…short SBR hanguards can't weigh that much. Where's your weight? Is it your suppressor?

You could just go with a nice pistol in 1911 or a double stack striker fired one, put a red dot on it weighing in at under two pounds. get yourself some hand strengthening equipment. Try something in a 40 Smith and Wesson or a 9mm and try carrying it in a chest rig, with the 9mm you can shoot subsonic, and a suppressor will work better. I am just a little older than you with a lot of similar issues as you health wise. An 11-inch barrel is considered a pistol in most states any way, you just have an extension on the rear of it for stability and can achieve that with a good pistol and practice with a little instruction on their use. Depending on what your goals are, for calling coyotes and other predators using a pistol is a challenge, fun and exciting, as well as rewarding.

I carried the same rifle you described and was very accurate out to 100 yards. I had a suppressor on mine due to the extreme muzzle blast on the short barrel. If you're plan on shooting short distances it will work okay. You will lose a lot of velocity due to the short barrel.

You could just go with a nice pistol in 1911 or a double stack striker fired one, put a red dot on it weighing in at under two pounds. get yourself some hand strengthening equipment. Try something in a 40 Smith and Wesson or a 9mm and try carrying it in a chest rig, with the 9mm you can shoot subsonic, and a suppressor will work better. I am just a little older than you with a lot of similar issues as you health wise. An 11-inch barrel is considered a pistol in most states any way, you just have an extension on the rear of it for stability and can achieve that with a good pistol and practice with a little instruction on their use. Depending on what your goals are, for calling coyotes and other predators using a pistol is a challenge, fun and exciting, as well as rewarding.
I like the pistol idea

Miles

Ar's remind me of the old days when I hunted coyotes with an Ithaca Mag 10.

I rode horses and mules in Az, and hunted predators and Big Game. Shot more than a few coyotes with my Kimbler 45 ACP and Ruger GP 100 in 357. You really give an edge to the coyotes when you hunt with a pistol, and you can forget the notion of waiting until they stand still and shoot...novice thinking....leade the animal and follow though with your swing.

Best AR that I had was a Colt CAR, with a 2x7 scope mounted on the handle that grouped 3/4" at 100 yards with 55g Sierra bthp, that was a good option for me., for a while. The CAR did not point well, nor handle well.

"So my plan is to lighten up my gear starting with my boots and ending with my rifle which is currently an AR-15 platform suppressed SBR in .223. It has an 11" barrel so you might not think it to be too heavy but it's 9 ¾ pounds without ammo. What are your thoughts and suggestions?" Sounds about like the weight of a Rem 700 Varmint.

So, you are re thinking your likes and dislikes?

I'm packing coyote calling gear anywhere front 50 yards to 1 mile. I don't know what everything weighs but my boots are 5 lbs, tripod is 3 lbs and rifle is 9¾ lbs. Plus a backpack that I strap the tripod and a folding chair to and an e caller couple of hand calls extra batteries a few miscellaneous tools etc.

Miles

Ar's remind me of the old days when I hunted coyotes with an Ithaca Mag 10.

I rode horses and mules in Az, and hunted predators and Big Game. Shot more than a few coyotes with my Kimbler 45 ACP and Ruger GP 100 in 357. You really give an edge to the coyotes when you hunt with a pistol, and you can forget the notion of waiting until they stand still and shoot...novice thinking....leade the animal and follow though with your swing.

Best AR that I had was a Colt CAR, with a 2x7 scope mounted on the handle that grouped 3/4" at 100 yards with 55g Sierra bthp, that was a good option for me., for a while. The CAR did not point well, nor handle well.

"So my plan is to lighten up my gear starting with my boots and ending with my rifle which is currently an AR-15 platform suppressed SBR in .223. It has an 11" barrel so you might not think it to be too heavy but it's 9 ¾ pounds without ammo. What are your thoughts and suggestions?" Sounds about like the weight of a Rem 700 Varmint.

So, you are re thinking your likes and dislikes?
Absolutely, rethinking everything.

What if you disassemble your ar pistol and weigh each component to see where some weight can be saved?

In essence, I am doing that by building a new gun with every part being selected for the lightest weight. Titanium action, short featherweight barrel, CF adl stock, 3-9 second focal plane 1" scope, Form 1 lightweight suppressor or perhaps skip the suppressor.

I'm packing coyote calling gear anywhere front 50 yards to 1 mile. I don't know what everything weighs but my boots are 5 lbs, tripod is 3 lbs and rifle is 9¾ lbs. Plus a backpack that I strap the tripod and a folding chair to and an e caller couple of hand calls extra batteries a few miscellaneous tools etc.

Here's my equipment I've tried several chairs. This is by far the best. (Sly dog) It is also acting as a backpack to carry all your gear so your hands are free. The swagger bipod is super light easy to attach way better than a Tripod. I only use my tripod for night hunting with a thermal. Eberlestock, nose gunner chest rig holds my Vortex rangefinding binos two pockets for a light and wind checker another pocket inside for spare batteries, etc. and a pocket on the backside against your body will hold a pistol or your cell phone and of course the lucky duck super revolt caller. If you're set up is much lighter you probably left something at home. Lol
image.jpg