Light Weight Rifle for Smaller Hunters?

I guess I see the difference in the way he carries an eleven pound rifle and the way I carry a seven pound four ounce rifle. I carry mine in either one hand or the other ALL the time.

I would put money on him not carrying that rifle in one hand or the other for two miles, much less three.
You could put that money on me as well.

I can safely get my rifle out of this pack as quick as a sling; though granted not as quick as if it was already in my hands. I climb up and down too many steep faces and boulders and over too much deadfall and creeks, to keep anything but a walking/shooting stick in my hand. I never carry a rifle in my hands until it's time to set up or short stalk.

Last edited:
We have a real grizz problem.We front carry
WP casc.JPG

I have seen several posts referring to ultra light weight rifles "for my wife", "for my girlfriend", "for my kid", etc. These mentions are often in the rifles for sale. Sako's website advertises their Finnlight as "an excellent choice for women and younger shooters". Some others offering light weight rifles say the same.

This seems counter-intuitive to me, though. Assuming we are referring to smaller people less able to handle heavy or bulky items (not all wives and kids are smaller and weaker, we're talking averages here), wouldn't they do better with a heavier rifle to help reduce recoil? Seems like you could more easily discourage somebody from shooting if you start them off with a higher recoil rifle.

I'm helping my brother-in-law getting his youngsters started in hunting and I advised him away from the ultra light rifles for this reason. I remember in my own young sons' case that the 9-10 lb .270's they began with were almost too much recoil as they were, but the weight of the rifle was fine for them.

What are your experiences or advice?
I started my sons and nephews shooting with a Rem 700 ADL (22 in barrel) chambered in 243. 70-80 gr bullets for practice, 80 gr for antelope and 100 gr for deer. Average size kids could handle rifle at 13 yrs using a rest to shoot. Mild recoil of 243, mixed in with 22 for practice, let them develop their shooting skills.
If my wife wanted to hunt I would suggest a 6.5 creedmore in same rifle. Agree that too light a rifle with more recoil is not optimal for developing shooting skills. A 223 for practice would be optimal, but too light for hunting with inexperienced hunter IMHO.

I found a Tikka 260 REM in The Bargain Cave at Cabela's. Took it out of there their *Rule 4 Violation* plastic stock and ordered an adjustable stock from Boyd's that allows you to adjust the length of pull as well as the cheek rise. I got a break put on it as well and gave it to my 12 year old daughter who's less than a hundred pounds and she shoots it off the bag lights out. The stock is a little heavier but that helps to manage the recoil. With all due respect to everybody regarding weight of the rifle... I am a golfer. Why don't you try carrying a set of 40 pound golf clubs 4-5 hours during a game of golf. People complaining about a 10 lb rifle? Seriously??? Carrying your gun is just part of what it takes to be a hunter. A pound or 2 here or there ain't gonna matter ... work on your fitness. It does matter alot with regards to recoil. Use a heavier rifle and allow your shooter to develop good shooting habits.

Comparing the fitness level it requires to golf and hunt the west is the most ridiculous comparison I've ever heard of!!! Come hunt with some of the diehards on here and you'll see exactly how fit you are, as they smoke up 2000+ vertical feet before sunrise with 30+ lbs of gear in air that's already low in O2 while you watch their headlamp disappear ahead of you. Your forgetting the Binos, spotting scope, tripod, rangefinder, game bags, knives, water, food, rope, phone, wind meter, ect… that is always in my pack while hunting. If you haven't done it you straight up wont understand, and its obvious you aint done it. Ounces = Lbs, and Lbs = pain. Starting out a new hunter in the terrain we must traverse requires a light load or they are going to suffer and quit. Elk and Deer don't get big by hanging close to roads and trailheads on public land.

Last edited:
2000 ft? Ive done 7-8000 combined for the day.3000 use to be an average.My sons in NZ on a work visa,He meet a local and they took biv gear and headed out.Hes a mountain goat and local guy put him to the test.Sea level to 9000 ft,with game.3 boned out animals on way out.Public land my son got a double on chamy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.