light weight field rest, low dollar also.

robbor

Anybody have any recomendations for a good light wieght inexpensive rest. I dont want to spend another $100 now on another bipod but need a second rest for shooting from a hilltop, I would have to lug it about 500 yards up hill. Would also be for very low recoiling rifle.

I use a couple of ski poles (mine are telescoping at $17 each) and I use a large bobble bungie that keeping them together - a very adaptable field bipod. The bobble is a quick release style, so I can use the poles to hike into the backcountry, then tie 'em together to shoot.

If 500 yds is all you will ever have to lug it, what would be too wrong with one of those Hoppe's orange rests. Its fairly light, has reasonable adjustment, sharp feet but is bulky. Plus it's gotta be inexpensive.....Or I wouldn't have one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

send these guys a e-mail asking about there rifle rest www.outdoorsmans.com it mounts to your tripod and is super light weight nothing has to be attached to your rifle it simply unfolds you lay your rifle in and can use you tripod head either a pistol grip or a pan head to adjust your rifle. a guy just used mine to shoot his bull elk at 400 yard last week.

Bi-Fur Pod - See http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm I made one and think it is better than Bi-pods attached to a rifle or Stoney Point Sticks. Also, good for shooting when on a sidehill. I modified one as well to be able to use it for a walking stick for snowy and slippery slopes. Don't like to leave home without it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.