Lever Hammer

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Finished testing on the Lever Hammer. The 1st one done is designed for the 30-30 and weighs in at 143g and is 1.057" long. It is cut with a 3mm hollow point on a large frontal area to make tube feeding possible. The large 3mm hp tested down to 1450fps for opening/deformation. This is slower than we recommend shooting animals but does ensure that this bullet will perform out to as far as one would want to run a lever action rifle. It obviously is not designed with bc's in mind, so at this point we have not listed a bc. Not sure that we will, it just does not seem important.

Although it is designed for the lever action it will certainly work in any .308 cal chambering. This bullet will make a very hard hitting short/normal range hunting bullet for any big game. It is a very high weight retention bullet that will retain 90+%. We will be testing it on white tail does in the near future and I will give an update then.

If I do not find a large buck on next weeks hunt I intend to use it in my Marlin 30-30 rattling in WT bucks the last two weeks of the season.

30143LH1.jpeg

30143LH2.jpeg

Steve

Nice! I would like to purchase some and give these a run in a rifle I have. It is an Encore with a custom barrel chambered in 7.82 lazzeroni. Any deals or specials now?

Last edited:
No we have never run any kind of deals. If you wanted to order in large volume we could look at a dealer price. 1000 or more pieces of the same item.

Steve

Thank you sir. I was just loading some for my 30-30. Can't think of anything better to do on election day.:rolleyes:

I'll get them out for you tomorrow.

Steve

Looks awesome as always Steve. Keep it up. I'll be gathering a list to order from u soon. Need to try out the blk bullet still just to busy with work. I haven't even been out hunting yet. It's been open over a month now. Dam shame

Seeing that you are on the lever gun kick - more lever guns are chambered in 45-70 and the Marlin lever guns are a runaway favorite.

I'd like to see a .458-.459 Hammer bullet at the heaviest weight that will work in a modern Marlin lever gun. hopefully in the 400gr range. Typical muzzle velocities would be 1,600-1,800 ft/sec. Impact velocities at 100 yds would be noticeable lower in a bullet of this design and expansion should be maximized at anticipated impact velocity.

OK - is Hammer up to the challenge of designing & manufacturing a bullet up to the task?

Seeing that you are on the lever gun kick - more lever guns are chambered in 45-70 and the Marlin lever guns are a runaway favorite.

I'd like to see a .458-.459 Hammer bullet at the heaviest weight that will work in a modern Marlin lever gun. hopefully in the 400gr range. Typical muzzle velocities would be 1,600-1,800 ft/sec. Impact velocities at 100 yds would be noticeable lower in a bullet of this design and expansion should be maximized at anticipated impact velocity.

OK - is Hammer up to the challenge of designing & manufacturing a bullet up to the task?

I think so. I will note that a flat front 458 probably does not need to have much expansion. Displacement is already pretty good. Talk about freight train. :D

Steve

I would second that bullet. Should work well in the socom also. Really heavy but low opening velocity. For guys like me who don't buy a socom to see how far I can string it out. I want it for hitting anything within 100 yards like a truck.

I think so. I will note that a flat front 458 probably does not need to have much expansion. Displacement is already pretty good. Talk about freight train. :D

Steve
I have a Model 1886 Winchester in 45-70 and would love a big bullet for it and the 460 Weatherby

Steve

In a hunting bullet, expansion is always desirable even in a fat .458 format. :D
A non-expanding copper bullet would provide no advantage over the hard cast lead bullets that are very popular in 45-70 & 450 cartridges.

Another consideration would be to design a bullet with a (moderately) improved BC without resorting to a nose profile that would be inappropriate for use in a tube magazine.

Good luck - I'd be pleased to test fire your first 45-70 production bullet. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.