Leupold warranty puts others to shame!

I guess I must re-itterate the point:
[ QUOTE ]
Aside from arguing scopes, the main point of the post was to show how good their warranty is and how awesome their customer service is. And they are just as I said, "hard to beat".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ho goodgrouper i think if you are in the US they are verry good but step off your shoors and it is a different story altogethor.

Cheers Bill
Australia

The customer service at Leupold is nothing that i wouldn't expect from a customer orientated US company, now that customer is king mentality is something that many American firms do have over some of the European companies, however in my experience, S&B, Leica and Steiner and Hensold(zeiss) have also excellent customer service.
The price of a top of the range leupold scope over here isn't all that much less than a comparable S&B.
i had the choice a few years ago, carry on buying Leupold and risk more scope breakages or fork out for a S&B. i could afford a couple of Leupolds or 1 S&B. so i bought 1 3-12x50PMII and i put badger ord picrails on allmy rifles, used thier 34mm rings, and i swapped the scope between several rifles. today ive a bit more cash in the bank (in the form of a larger over draft) and i've 3 PMII's and a 4th due for delivery soon.
S&B have far more options than are mentioned on thier web site, Derek all the PMII's are available with 1/4 MOA clicks. and there will be more reticles available soon, infact i've a meeting(plus a steak and a few beers) with S&B and Premier Reticles this afternoon. I'm hoping for a MOA reticle in a MOA scope,(although i'm a meters and miliradians man my self) thinner reticles in all the PMII'S ( we've convinced Hans Bender of that already) a 1.5-6x42PMII non illuminated versions of the 5-25x56 and 4-16x42PMII and a few other things..

Groundgrouper, you need to visit the optician mate
any one who knows me knows i never resist the temptation to go leupold bashing, don't take it to heart. no offense mentioned and bravo for them for having a good customer service.
but if i had the choicebetween a leupold with a 30 year garantie or a s&B with no garantie. i'd still take the S&B.
Pete

[ QUOTE ]
carry on buying Leupold and risk more scope breakages or fork out for a S&B.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I have personally worked with over 50 Leupolds on everything from 223's to 338 ultras and have shot Leupolds atop 20 pound 50 bmg's and have sold well over 500 to my customers and you know how many I have seen break? Two. And of those two, both were repaired in under 10 days and back on the guns.

Your unfortunate experiences with Leupold just don't match up to my experiences with them.

I even know a custom gun builder who specializes in Safari guns of 338 or larger caliber. For awhile, he sold package combos with scopes mounted. He used Swarovski, IOR, Kahles, and Leupold. After having customer complaints with all the scopes except Leupold, he now exclusively uses Leupold. They are the only scope that hold up.

I own 8 myself with the 9th on the way and have NEVER had any problems. If they are inferior in clarity to Euro scopes, I sure can't see it. One thing I did see was a chuck sitting motionless on a rock at 2051 yards with my Leupold, and I saw him well enough to dump him! And that was after I dialed in 35 minutes into the turret that you say breaks. Well, after the shot, I came back down the 35 minutes and it was back at zero. It never missed a click!

Now, maybe a S&B would have let me make that shot as well, but so did the so called "inferior" Leupold.

Don't get me wrong, I own and love many Euro pieces of glass. I use a Swaro 20-60x80 spotter almost daily, and 10x42 SLC Swaro binos weekly, and a Leica 1200 LRF rangefinder daily. Very good glass, however, you could not convince me as of this date to put a Swaro rifle scope on ANY one of my firearms. I have had two of them break on me while I was looking through them doing load development! I have not worked with as many Swaros as Leupolds, but thus far I would say 8 Swaros with 2 breaks compared to 60-70 Leupolds with 2 breaks. You do the math.

[ QUOTE ]
Groundgrouper, you need to visit the optician mate

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that was what a client told me on an elk hunt last weekend. I was seeing elk's ears and legs moving through thick scrub oak over 700 yards away all day long while he saw nothing. He commented that I needed to have eye surgery to REDUCE my vision so we would all have a fair opportunity to see his bull! Maybe all I would have to do instead is look through my crappy Leupold scope longer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
any one who knows me knows i never resist the temptation to go leupold bashing, don't take it to heart. no offense mentioned

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense taken. You look for 300 pound pigs and 500 pound staggs at 400 meters and I look for 2 pound prairie dogs at 1000 yards and 4 pound chucks at 1.2 miles. We play a slightly different game.

You use your S&B and down your Heinekens, and I'll use my Leupy and have another shot of critisism. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would also stay away from the Swaro scopes (the ones with reticles in them) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but i have the same spotter as you and love it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

...can see 17cal holes in white paper at 500yds when the mirage is down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SB though is in another league than leupold glass wise, and robustness. Unfortunately is also priced that way.

Pete -- over here, a comparable S&B cost 2X a top end leup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Every leupold i have had-- only about 6 have had to have their turrets "broken in"

that is dialed stop-to-stop several times

This seemed to fix a 6-18, and and 8.5-25 (before it went to 20-50x) that wasnt returning to zero, so i have done it on every scope since, even my nightforce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

YMMV,
JB

Well mate you keep on using them Leupolds. funny enough, since my last post ive become a leupold owner.i bought a remington 700 mountain rifle as a donour for an action and its got a little leupold 3-9 on it.. i figure it will do for my boys airgun.
So if Leupold are so great, how come the US Marines and the US Army are going over to S&B?
i don't care what the application, any S&B scope will **** all over any other scope. and the PMII line up is the worlds best scope bar none. I used to be a leupold fan, until the **** things started letting me down. not bieng able to trust such an important piece of equipment is a night mare, the piece of mind knowing that i can trust the scope is worth paying for.
Spotting scopes. yep the Swarovski is a good piece of kit, but i do like the Prem Ret spider web.
cheers Pete

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that was what a client told me on an elk hunt last weekend. I was seeing elk's ears and legs moving through thick scrub oak over 700 yards away all day long while he saw nothing. He commented that I needed to have eye surgery to REDUCE my vision so we would all have a fair opportunity to see his bull! Maybe all I would have to do instead is look through my crappy Leupold scope longer!

[/ QUOTE ]

GG are you an outfitter???

[ QUOTE ]
So if Leupold are so great, how come the US Marines and the US Army are going over to S&B?

[/ QUOTE ]

The armed forces change equipment all the time. It is nothing new. Look at how many times we've changed sidearms over the last 50 years. And look at how many different brands are in use among the elite teams and special forces. HK, SIg, Beretta, Colt, and several others are all in use. It is just a matter of who gives the biggest discount on a bulk purchase and they will get the contract.

There are still Leupolds atop many rifles of law enforcement agencies, military groups, and correction departments across all the world. S&B will be coming on line soon in many new areas as well as US Optics scopes.

In my opinion these are all good scopes and wish I had one of them all! But opinions are like anal orrifices, everyone's got one and they all stink. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Ric,
I am not an outfitter per say, but I do line guys up with equipment and help them learn to shoot long range. I also do some guiding but this guy I was with last weekend asked me to go along to help find animals and to be his "shooting coach" as he anticipated a long shot and wanted some on-site help.

[ QUOTE ]
what a client told me

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm.... I don't know Utah's laws all that well.. but if you were on Nat'l Forest or in Wilderness area.. you better have your resident guide license or your legal guide license.
My advice to you is be very careful how you word things on a very public forum.

[ QUOTE ]
the Leupolds still look brighter than S&B's

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this I will have to say.. hogwash too.. I can't believe you actually say this.. not even true scientifically... I has been tested.
I was fortunate enough to line up...
S&B, NXS,Lupy, USO and a NIkon Tactical side by side by side...
all on 12X
S&B hands down brighter, clearer and more contrast than the rest.
Nikon was very close in brightness
NXS, USO then lupy...
Dusk veiwing.. S&B hands down again... and the other three we all relatively close with a slight edge to Nikon, maybe USO and NXS close together...

don't get m eworng lupy's are great scope.. but they can't compete with euro glass and certainly not S&B...

I don't get paid for this or have an interest in making one beter than the other. I simply want the best optics I can afford for my demands and hunting situations.
I only wish the optics companies would send me stuff to put through my Rocky Mtn testing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I don't own Lupy's anymore... quite simply because there are others out there that do it better in the glass department..
Now that Nikon is in the tactical game.. in my opinion.. lupys gonna loose some revenue...

[ QUOTE ]
hmmmm.... I don't know Utah's laws all that well.. but if you were on Nat'l Forest or in Wilderness area.. you better have your resident guide license or your legal guide license.
My advice to you is be very careful how you word things on a very public forum

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry about me Ric. I guide for no money, the reason I said client was because of something else-not guiding client. I do it for fun and no pay.

[ QUOTE ]
Now this I will have to say.. hogwash too.. I can't believe you actually say this.. not even true scientifically... I has been tested

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said before if you would actually read my whole post was that they appear brighter to my eye and everyone's eyes are different. I use Leupolds to shoot stuff over 1 mile away so I speak from experience and not guestimations!

Ric,
Did you post a review of those scopes by chance? I'd like to read it if you did. This is a topic I'm very interested in I'm sure you have more to add.

I think part of the problem is most of us don't have access to look at or through most of the scopes mentioned so its truly hard for us to compare. But I agree on one point. Everybody's eyes are different.

I didn't do a review .. but if you list the questions you need answered I'll be glad to answer them from my findings.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.