Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 (30mm tube) illuminated

ADMIN

Administrator
Just ordered a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 illuminated fine duplex reticle today from premiere reticles for my deer rifle. What do you guys think of this for a hunting scope ?

I wanted a lit reticle for the early and late evenings and figured the fine duplex would be okay, since I can light it up. I also had target turrets put on this as I like to dial my elevation. Yes a NF or other higher dollar scope would be better, but this is much lighter. I would of sprung for the Nikon or Zeiss Conquest if it had a lit reticle. I see the Nikon is lit but only on the variable that goes up to 10x. I wanted more power than that for coyote in late winter and whistle pigs in the Spring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Eddie Fosnaugh

[ QUOTE ]
Yes a NF or other higher dollar scope would be better

[/ QUOTE ]

After looking through a NF, I'm not so sure. I think you made an excellent choice and I don't think you'll ever be dissapointed in the Leupy.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda, gotten Premier to install a custom bullet drop reticle for your pet load. All kidding aside, Leupold scopes are just dandy. I prefer NF, but I can't afford them for each rifle so I use a hodge podge of glass. Can't go wrong with Leupold.

I agree with all of you. LONG LIVE LEUPOLD!
There, I said it, again.

I sorta let some of our other members of this board irritate me for awhile with their anti-Leupold biases because of their own superiority complex attitudes with the "European" scope companies and then I realized I have nothing to be upset about. I can pick up any copy of NBRSA news and read the equipment lists and guess what, the majority of the competitors are still shooting Leupy's. That goes for the 1k crowd AND the 100-200 yard crowd as well.

If the Euro's can't handle that fact, oh well. Take heart in the fact that Aldo Leupold was in fact a German surveyor by profession. He immigrated to the United states in the early 1900's and started a binocular and rifle scope business that has prevailed until this day. So in a way it is true that Leupy's are european (minus the arrogance!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Oh, I know I'm gonna take some flack for that one but I don't care. It at least makes for an interesting train wreck that is fun to read right?

At least I have proof that Leupolds are great scopes regardless of what biases might be brought to the table. If you hate them, don't use them. If you like them, buy one. But don't say they ain't no good just because you like S&amp;B or Swaro. I have successfully used Leupolds to score hits on targets probably more than triple the distance that the naysayers have shot to with their "European" scopes and they are shooting at buses (red staggs and such) and I am trying to tip over a p-dog or chuck! Not bragging here, just stating the facts <font color="red">that could not be </font> if Leupold's were as bad as what Pete Linclon says they are.

Sorry man, I have worked with and sold way too many to accept the opinion that they don't work because in fact they do. They have the best track record of any scope sold by the second largest outdoor retailer in the US. That is the facts and AMEN. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have three Loopie VX-III 4.5-14x50 LR (non illuminated) and three NF illuminated with 56 Obj Lens. I'm still trying to convince my eyes that the NF are better, they must be, I paid more that double:) I like all the scopes but on my favorite hunting guns I usually put the loopies.
I could easily come up with the cash for the more expensive euro glass, but I'm so happy with the Loopies I'd rather get another gun from Kirby.

I still like my NF scopes, but the Loppies are awesome scopes for the price. I'm with GG, if you want to spend money, put it in the gun.

I use Leupolds and so far they have not left me wanting, but if someone wanted to give me a Nightforce, S&amp;B, or IOR I would not turn it down!

I have 2 NF's and I have to say they take nothing away from this Leupold. I haven't shot it yet because the rifle it's going on won't be here till next week. Compaing the NF to my Leupold really isn't fair. The NF are designed to be Tactial, this is a hunting scope and the weight savings and compactness of it are worth it alone. To my eyes at dusk I really can't tell a difference between it and the
NF 5.5x22x50NXS. My eyes are very good though, and everybody sees different, but I'm pleased with it greatly.

Eddie Fosnaugh

The equivalent Leupy's to the NXS series are the Mark 4 variables, though similar looking with gold band the VX3 is not as good optically, well my 8.5-25 isnt its about on par with an NXS. The genuine Mark 4 fixed mag are the biz, i want mine back.

I like the illuminated reticle but unfortunately they are illegal to use for hunting in here in Wyoming. I just found that out at the local sporting goods store a couple weeks ago. It may be well worth checking into where you live. lol

highcountry,
Did you see that on the regulations or did someone tell you that? I'm sure nightvision is illegal but I've never heard of an illuminated reticle scope being illegal..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.