LEUPOLD VX6 HD 4-24X 52MM (34mm tube) Impact 23 reticle....Good or Bad...???

Don't discount the Swarovski Z6 series.. Lightweight, sweet glass, and the low turrets.. The 3-18 is great as is the 5-30.. The BRH reticle on these is very nice and Swarovski has an awesome online ballistics setup to dial in your holdovers/hashmarks with most factory ammo.

My experience with a Swarovski z6 was not so "sweet glass". A friend brought his z6 5-30X50 and his z8i 2.3-18X56 to compare with my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. We set them up on the deer antlers 131 yards away sort of in the woods. He had to turn up his z6 to 15X to see the antlers (13" wide). He said, "I always knew that was not a very good Swarovski." Personally I would have returned it when I bought it. The other two, especially the z8i, were definitely better than the z6. To keep things even we adjusted the other two to the same setting of 15X for our low light test.

By the way my Leupold VX-6 was better than the z6.

Rich, sounds like that scope was defective as the ones I have/had were nothing short of outstanding. Especially my Z6 5-30x50... Curious, is your Leupold a VX6 HD or the non-HD?

Rich, sounds like that scope was defective as the ones I have/had were nothing short of outstanding. Especially my Z6 5-30x50... Curious, is your Leupold a VX6 HD or the non-HD?
All of mine are pre HD models and counting points at long range even in cover is a non issue. I have both the 3-18x50's and 4-24x52's.

For the money I think the 3-18x50 is unbeatable especially with the illuminated models since I do a great deal of low light hog and predator hunting.

I'm looking at getting the VX6 HD 4-24x52mm with TMOA reticle for a new hunting build and have 4 questions.
1. Does it need to be on 24 power for the moa reticle or does it calibrate to a lower power?
2. When illumination is NOT on does the reticle look good just like in the pictures only in black?
3. After load development and verification for hunting do any of you use the custom yards turret that Leupold offers?

4. Tracking how has this scope performed on the tall target test or tracking in general?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.