LEUPOLD VX6 HD 4-24X 52MM (34mm tube) Impact 23 reticle....Good or Bad...???

My thoughts are that since that scope is 2nd focal plane the reticle is only useful when the scope is dialed to a certain power. I could not find what power that is on Leupolds web site but usually it is at full power so with this scope 24x.
I have a VX-6 4-24x52 and love the scope but do not find myself using the 24x very often so I would say I personally would not be able to utilize the reticle since my rig is primarily for hunting. I personally think reticles like that are most useful on a FFP scope.

My thoughts are that since that scope is 2nd focal plane the reticle is only useful when the scope is dialed to a certain power. I could not find what power that is on Leupolds web site but usually it is at full power so with this scope 24x.
I have a VX-6 4-24x52 and love the scope but do not find myself using the 24x very often so I would say I personally would not be able to utilize the reticle since my rig is primarily for hunting. I personally think reticles like that are most useful on a FFP scope.

That is an interesting take. So a simple duplex reticle should be fine for an SFP scope.

The glass is the slightest bit better than the Swarovski z5 5-25X52 for resolving detail on a military optics chart at 127 yards. I mean barely. But it is noticeably better when it comes to real life color. One is just as good as the other as far as low light performance. I think it was 24 ounces.

The glass is the slightest bit better than the Swarovski z5 5-25X52 for resolving detail on a military optics chart at 127 yards. I mean barely. But it is noticeably better when it comes to real life color. One is just as good as the other as far as low light performance. I think it was 24 ounces.

I've found if I have time to range, dial, shoot. I have time to range, flip to max mag and use reticle for holdover. That said, 24x is a lot of power for hunting. I'd probably go 3-18.
If this is more a dedicated target rifle then I would look at more of a tactical scope. If it's to be used in competition then I think you need a ffp scope with reticle capable of doing holds.

I've found if I have time to range, dial, shoot. I have time to range, flip to max mag and use reticle for holdover. That said, 24x is a lot of power for hunting. I'd probably go 3-18.
If this is more a dedicated target rifle then I would look at more of a tactical scope. If it's to be used in competition then I think you need a ffp scope with reticle capable of doing holds.

Some clarification. I don't even know what competition shooting is.....not really, I can guess, but I don't really know. I have never had any interest in "Target" shooting beyond zeroing fixed sights or optics. I do have 62 years of rifle hunting experience, including about four decades as PH (Alaska Hunting Guide).

The goal of this rifle (Rem. 85197) is that it slowly becomes my primary tool over the next 14 years, which would carry me from age 71 through age 85 y/o......I have many other rifles, but I have never owned, or felt any need for a long range rifle.

While I have a deep knowledge of various cartridge performance and ballistics, I confess I know zero about long range optics. This scope purchase and related reticle choice needs to be right the first time, no do overs (largely because of where and how I live).

So to that end, I ask the members here, what is the highest magnification I should be considering, the total weight of rifle and optics is "not" a consideration. "Mostly" but not exclusively, I expect to be shooting out of an open cabin windows.

I thank everyone for their help and advise.

I sold my Swarovskis and Leupolds. For me it is nearly impossible to beat the Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 for what you are talking about. I have three of them. They are crystal clear from 4 1/2X to 30X and match the Swarovski and Leupold in low light test. I have a Plex, mill dot, and DOA600. All three reticles are nice.

Agl it sounds like you could away with a less powerful scope. Maybe the 3x18 or a 2x12 would be better. A first focal plaane scope would probab;y be a better bet as well. That way the spacings pn the reticle never change. That way if you saw a moose out across the opening and you new it was 400yds allyou need to do is hold the dot or slash that is what you need for holdover and fire. If you were to go that way a fairly reasonable priced scope is the Burris veracity. You may need to look a little harder for a FFP scope but it might be worth the time. They rely simplify things if you need a little hold over. I hope this helps you some. Sorry I do not have the names of a few more FFP scopes to give you but someone here will.

There's a lot of good options for lr optics.
The things I look for in no particular order and probably forgot something
1:glass clarity
2:known for tracking well
3:eye box at max mag
4:enough Moa travel for intended distance of shooting.
5: a reticle I like

I put 20moa picatinny rails on my long range rifles to put the image more in the Center of the optic when dialing far.

Burris veracity are nice, I have a 2-10x the lower power reticles are basically ballistic reticles and only suitable for mid range shooting in my opinion. I believe once you get to the 4-20 and 5-25 you can get the scr reticle which is very nice. My cousin has a 5-25 veracity. I've shot it quite a bit. Awesome scope. I might look more at the Burris xtr ll though with the same scr reticle. It had a 34mm tube and more Moa travel.

I have an vx3 lrp, 6.5-20. Probably my favourite scope now, knocking my old mark 4 off it's pedestal. Lol it has 80 Moa of travel vs the vx6 68moa of travel. Something to keep in mind. They do make a 4.5-14 lrp in ffp.

I also have a sightron stac. 4-20. Tracks well, I like the reticle. Gives up some clarity to the other two but is quite a bit less money.

Another buddy has two Nightforce atacr, they're very nice and have all the bells and whistles.

Hopefully that helps and doesn't muddy the waters too much

Thanks for all the help........One other small issue is that I loath those Tall turrets. So when I get this suggested/recommended high end magnification clearly understood....Then I can start looking for optics with low turrets.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.