Leupold VX3 w/ CDS vs Vortex Viper w/Kenton

scottyboy

hey guys was wondering if i could solicit some thoughts on some scope options i am considering - - as i have not first hand experience with either. my scenario will be 'out west' hunting with a 300WM with a max range of probably 600-700 yards as that is the farthest i can practice around here.

i've used and been looking at BDC type reticles from various scope MFG's but the more i read it seems as if i a 'dial compensated' scope might be more accurate due to exact load used, environment etc etc

so the 2 that i have narrowed it down to is a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 and a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44 both of which can utilize a elevation dial; CDS and Kenton respectively.

has anyone heard good or bad things about either of these setups? i know Vortex has all the hype lately, but i have only used their binos (i assume quality would be the same across the board)

i know there are probably some other/better options, which i would be happy to hear but am sort of 'shopping on a budget' which is why i landed in the neighborhood of either the Leupold or Viper..

thank you in advance for any comments, i do... and will appreciate them!

I use the Vortex HSLR 4-16x50 FFP and it tracks perfectly.

Why would you want to trade out a very good dial with come-ups in MOA for another dial?? I have used this scope with just a proven drop chart and with shooter on an iPhone and it is flawless.

I don't know anything about the CDS dial but have a VX3 that I installed a Leupolds M1 dial on and it's OK and accurate but no zero stop so have to pay attention and in the heat of the moment that does not always happen. Out of the two you mentioned I would opt out for the HS and not swap out the dial. For a hunting scope in my opinion zero stop is a must!!

For a hunting scope at the ranges you specify take a look at the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42

Scottyboy I use the leupold vx3 4.5-14 x 40 cds and really like it. lenses are very clear and tracks well. sorry I don't have any experience with the Vortex . what can I say I'm a leupold man. If you have trouble leupold will be there like a big brother. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.