Leupold VX-3 CDS Scope Vs. Quigley Ford Scope Review

Last month I helped a friend set up his Browning A-Bolt in 30-06 with the Federal 165 gr Sierra GameKing BTSP with a new VX3 3.5-10x40 with CDS. I clocked 10 rounds over my Oehler 35p @ 2811 fps average. It took Leupold about 3 weeks to get the new CDS turret out to him. I helped him zero the scope @ 200 yds and we then checked the POI out to 600 yds in 100 yd increments. All were a few inches low but that was to be expected since were shooting at a nominal 4900' elev and the denser air would slow the bullet down more. He had an elk hunt to the Windriver range of Wyoming with a 10,000' average hunting altitude of which he just returned from yesterday. He texted me this pic upon arrival at his house. This is his 7 yr old son in the back of his Toyota Tacoma.

IMG00359-20110924-1110.jpg

Seems the range was 456 yds, one shot at a slight 5 deg down angle. POI was right at the POA after he turned the CDS turret upto the 450 mark. Bull only traveled 10 yds. Autopsy showed a clean double lung hit with several largish exit holes on the opposite rib cage.

Also, I had Leupold make up three turrets for my Pre 64 M70 in 9.3x62 with a VX3 1.75-6. One for 500' (Seward Peninsula), one for 5500' (primary year round practice) and 10,500' for elk hunting. It works great out to 500 yds.

Alan

Last edited:
I bought one for a .223 Rem In Remington 700 SFII in TPS mounts for Varmint hunting in 4.5 to 14 x40mm have one PD trip with it and I am sold. I to sight in at 200 yds beyond that just dial range and shoot it worked great. I Reloaded 40gr NBT to 3725 fps. I was so Impressed I plan on upgradeing more of my rifles with them.

I got my dial today and it looks good. It is marked from 200 yds to 1450 yds. It is different than the CDS a little. With this dial you can still use your cover. I would post pictures but I cant in this product review forum. All in all a nice job by Leupold.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.