Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 CDS problem!!

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by MTGunner, May 22, 2015.

1. MTGunner

MTGunner Well-Known Member

I purchased this Leupold rifle scope early 2011. It has been mounted in Burris Signature rings with a one piece base. Twice it has failed in so far as the elevation, horizontal, reticle has been knocked out of setting. I sent it back to Leupold to have it repaired. It was returned and remounted. Same has happened once again. It has been sent back to Leupold a second time for same repair. I zeroed it at 200 yds. Took it to South Africa, went to range at safari camp to discover that it was shooting 10" high @ 100 meters. Thankfully I took a spare scope and changed it out on the spot. Has anyone else had problems with this particular Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 CDS scope? Were these scopes made in China? I would appreciate input and suggestions. BTW, this is the only Leupold scope that I have had this problem. Have other older Leupold scopes that have performed flawlessly. Thanks for any and all input. MTG

2. coyotezapper

coyotezapper Well-Known Member

VXIII or VX3?

What bases and rings are you using?

Caliber?

3. MTGunner

Burris one piece base with Burris Signature insert rings. All are tight and these rings have served me well on other firearms. I sincerely do not think the rings are the problem. Thanks for the inquiry. MTG

4. coyotezapper

I had a Leupold LPS scope that I sent back to Leupold twice only to find out that it was my mounting system failing me. I switched to a PRW and never had the problem again. And yes, the original system had worked well for me for years but after this I changed out all to weaver / picatinny or Talley one piece and have not had a problem. If you have some other mounting system try it before you give up. I have not had a problem with any of the newer - twin bias spring erector system Leupold scopes. Your serial number will tell you whether you have TBES.

5. MTGunner

What serial # series is the TBES system? MTG

6. coyotezapper

Call Leupold and give them the SN and they can tell you if it has it. If it is not TBES then it will not track / box test and it was never intended too. This is where a lot of people get confused. The older vari-x iii ( some of the later models were installed w/ TBES ) were never intended to track like the MK4 military scopes.