Leupold 4.5-14 CDS for LR?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by DocGlenn, Nov 23, 2010.

1. DocGlenn

DocGlenn Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find a better scope for for my 300wsm mountain rifle. I want to keep the total weight under 7.5 lbs. The catalog says this scope weighs in at 13oz which is about as light as I have seen for decent scope with turrets. My max distance would be 600yds. I'm a little concerned about not having a side focus, but that may not be a issue for 600 yds or less. Would this scope make a for a good, lightweight, mid-range scope? If anyone has any better suggestions, I'm open to other options. Thanks!

2. helidriver72

helidriver72 Well-Known Member

You could buy a VX-3 4.5-14 LR with side focus then just send it to Leupold and have the CDS installed. Two of my friends have done just that and are happy with the results. I think the side focus is so nice I wouldn't want a scope with out it.

3. matt_3479

matt_3479 Well-Known Member

I am interested in the reply's here cause im in the market for a scope for my 300. wsm which is my light weight carry around rifle and would be shooting out to 600 yards as well. If the Accubonds shoot nice, i will be using 180 Grain Nosler Accubonds for moose, bear, caribou out to 600 yards and want a scope that will keep my gun under 8 LBS max

4. blipelt

blipelt Well-Known Member

I just bought a 4.5-14X40 with the CDS for my light weight 260 Rogue being built. I think it is the prefect scope for medium range shooting say out to 750yds. max.
    I don't think par. adjustment is much of an issue at those ranges when your vitals are about 2moa.

Keep in mind I am building a rifle I am going to be shooting primarily as we drive wide open crp/prairie fields. I wanted the versatility of a carry rifle with the ability to make a 700yd shot. If your plans are similar to mine I think you will be fine. If you plan on going out farther, get the LR with the side focus. If have 15lb. rifles built especially for long range. I am trying to fill a gap I have discovered in my hunting style.

Brent

5. DocGlenn

DocGlenn Well-Known Member

I thought about that, but then you start to get back to a bigger, heavier scope. Since I've already got a heavy rifle with a NF scope, i'm trying to stay light and moblie with this setup. Since I've never owned a Leupold, thought this would be the perfect place to ask.

Thanks for all the fedback and suggestions!

Glenn

6. helidriver72

helidriver72 Well-Known Member

Just for info

VX-3
    13.0 oz

VX-3 LR
    15.1 oz