LEUPOLD VARI-X III 4.5X14X50 mm LONG RANGE

Those are tapered turrets, the Gold ring hasn't been painted, and they are bad pictures. I may need to buy my wife a better phone. I'll call Leupold tomorrow and see what I can learn

I'd be curious to see what if any markings are on the bottom flat of the turret housing. Should be at minimum a serial number, which you would need when you contact Leupold. Are you the original purchaser? Not to be a doubter, but there are a ton of counterfeit Leupolds on the market and the turrets just don't look quite right to me, although I've never owned that model scope. Leupold would definitely be worth contacting to get the most accurate info. Good luck!

The markings on that flat bottom are a six digit serial number ending in F. A"Made in USA" and a small circular brand. I can't quite make out the detail.
I contacted Leupold and the fellow I spoke to could not find it in their data base but I left a message for a man he referred me to. Hopefully he will call back. I am not the original purchaser but have owned it maybe 15-20 years. The turrets were purchased from Leupold. I called to ask about installing the MK4 type turrets and the guy talked me out of it. He said these are just as good and lot's cheaper. I will post any info I get from Leupold
Are you sure it is not a black and gold trim ring like a LRP VX3i, still a picture is worth a thousand words?
Yep I'm sure. There is no gold on it except the Medallion on the parallax adjustment.

I have a leupold 1" 36x competition from the 80's and it does not have a gold ring and has turrets just like yours.
Edit-I'm thrown off by the 30mm tube. Those were not available until the late 90's-2000's. I had target turrets put on a scope in early 200's by leupold. They were tapered and I could not cover them up with leupold covers.

Last edited:
Some Pics

Attachments

• 300 BO better 2.jpg
    300 BO better 2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 300 BO better3.jpg
    300 BO better3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 300 BO better 2.jpg
    300 BO better 2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 83
My VariXIII LR 4.5-14X50 has a mildot reticle but capped target turrets. I remember those conical turrets but I can't recall on what Leupold scope. The "Long Range" had a black ring and I was told were pretty close to a Mk4. Mine has around 110 moa of elevation adjustment and has been reliable since 1991. I probably have over 10k rounds down the barrel of my PSS with that scope mounted on there. I have no idea what a fair price would be.

OK ,Now we are on to something. Sounds a lot like mine except the marking on the black ring says exactly"LEUPOLD VARI-X III 4.5X14X50 mm LONG RANGE"
The knobs were originally covered knobs but were replaced with tapered knobs. It has around 110 moa of elevation adjustment. As Stated earlier, it is exceptionally bright. I think it must be a forerunner to the MK4. I have over a dozen MK 4's and really like them.
I may just keep it.

OK ,Now we are on to something. Sounds a lot like mine except the marking on the black ring says exactly"LEUPOLD VARI-X III 4.5X14X50 mm LONG RANGE"
The knobs were originally covered knobs but were replaced with tapered knobs. It has around 110 moa of elevation adjustment. As Stated earlier, it is exceptionally bright. I think it must be a forerunner to the MK4. I have over a dozen MK 4's and really like them.
I may just keep it.
I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same scope. I always felt the glass was just okay. There were times I felt the glass wasn't as bright as some "cheaper" glass. but when I took it out to extended ranges it was more clear with more accurate color. And in low light conditions it was obvious that the image was more clear and the lens were better in low light. So I held on to mine even though my scope has a mildot reticle and 1/4 minute click dials I've kept it. I might sell it someday, only time will tell.

Never have seen the conical shaped turret on a Leupold before?
Those are factory turrets that Leupold used to (maybe still do) ship extra with their target scopes. They shipped with the standard target turrets installed under the turret covers. You'd get the tapered turrets in the box. Turret covers won't fit over the tapered turrets.

Recent Posts