Leupold Mk5 chosen for military

I have lived in the United States all of my life ,Have served in the military and I like it when we use products that are built in the United States . We have too many imported products . As citizens we need to do our part as well we need to take pride in our crafts no matter what we do for a living we need to do it to the best of our abilities and in a timely manner so that we aren't dependent on products from other countries . If we become dependent on other sources for our goods we have given away our freedom of choice of products and our countries independence that we were once very proud of and founded on . Just my thoughts .

I have been looking at getting a few Mark 5's from Leupold one for a 300 W/M, one for a 338 Lapua, and the last for a long range 270. My new favorite magnification range is 5-25. got one on a 300 W/M that I have up for sale. had to test it out make sure it was sighted in.. had too much fun ringing on gongs out to 800 yards.

Once again I will weigh in on Leupold. I don't have anything to say about them except all of them work.
I think that there is an ego problem with the high end scopes. When you pay two to three times as much for something you don't stand up a tell everyone that you just spent a lot of money on something that doesn't work.
Years ago I had a friend that didn't like Ford Mustangs. He thought that the plastic pig, AKA Corvette, was the best thing since sliced bread. He scrimped and saved to buy a brand new Corvette in 1999. When he sold it in 2001, I ask him why and he said it drove like a truck, was in the shop for something, never the same thing twice, on a monthly basis and never saw a gas station it didn't like. But he still thought it was a great car.
I can't afford two pay more than I do for Leupold and I don't know why I would.
As usual, YMMV.
I have never had a Leupold to the factory. The only experience with the factory has been second hand from one fellow shooter. He wanted a small red dot on the reticle of fine cross hair scope. He used it for running target competitions. He was stunned at the turn around and at the really low price that he was charged for the service.

Except many of us have had junk Leupold scopes. I've never had a junk Nightforce (which are on par in price with Leupold) or a junk S&B. But you keep telling yourself everybody paying more is an idiot and you are the truly enlightened one.

The more I see people banter back and forth about Leupold and such. I have put my eyes behind many scopes. the best glass, in my opinion, I know is S&B, for some reason their coatings work for me. I have put my eye behind numerous scopes. Leupolds, Zeiss (never a bad scope), S&B (never a bad scope), Swari (never a bad scope), IOR Valdada (never a bad scope), US Optics (wish I owned one just so I could comment on their outrageous prices), Tasco (one good scope got beat to death) , Bushnell (this scope brand I have never had any luck with), weaver (one good scope but it's loosing zero regularly now) , simmons (still kicking myself for ever putting that scope on my rifle), Night Force (dang good scopes never a problem with the one I had) and Nikons (very decent scopes, bad people to deal with). I have yet to have a bad experience with Leupold customer service. I had one scope that got a round through it from another hunter on the opposite side of the canyon from me.. I reckon he thought I was a deer hiding in Natural Gear. the scope still worked but the reticle was gone. that scope was fixed and delivered to me for what I thought was a very reasonable price.
I own 5 or 6 VX-3's I want to up-grade to the Mark 5's or another line with a 4X or 5X magnification range. I am looking hard at Leupold right now and I am liking what I see. I like the Horus #58 or 59 reticle.

Side note. I am really ****ed with some MF up in Montana, not sure he was a native just some SOB passing through I think. there is a rifle out there marked "277-7R/M" or "270 H-Mag" I forget which I had it marked. it's a model 70 Win, oiled stock, bedded action, .750 muzzle, twist was a 1:8", Holland muzzle brake, Leupold weaver style bases and 30MM rings with a S&B PMII 3-15X50MM scope. If anyone knows the whereabouts of this scope I would like to have it back.

The more I see people banter back and forth about Leupold and such. I have put my eyes behind many scopes. the best glass, in my opinion, I know is S&B, for some reason their coatings work for me. I have put my eye behind numerous scopes. Leupolds, Zeiss (never a bad scope), S&B (never a bad scope), Swari (never a bad scope), IOR Valdada (never a bad scope), US Optics (wish I owned one just so I could comment on their outrageous prices), Tasco (one good scope got beat to death) , Bushnell (this scope brand I have never had any luck with), weaver (one good scope but it's loosing zero regularly now) , simmons (still kicking myself for ever putting that scope on my rifle), Night Force (dang good scopes never a problem with the one I had) and Nikons (very decent scopes, bad people to deal with). I have yet to have a bad experience with Leupold customer service. I had one scope that got a round through it from another hunter on the opposite side of the canyon from me.. I reckon he thought I was a deer hiding in Natural Gear. the scope still worked but the reticle was gone. that scope was fixed and delivered to me for what I thought was a very reasonable price.
I own 5 or 6 VX-3's I want to up-grade to the Mark 5's or another line with a 4X or 5X magnification range. I am looking hard at Leupold right now and I am liking what I see. I like the Horus #58 or 59 reticle.

Side note. I am really ****ed with some MF up in Montana, not sure he was a native just some SOB passing through I think. there is a rifle out there marked "277-7R/M" or "270 H-Mag" I forget which I had it marked. it's a model 70 Win, oiled stock, bedded action, .750 muzzle, twist was a 1:8", Holland muzzle brake, Leupold weaver style bases and 30MM rings with a S&B PMII 3-15X50MM scope. If anyone knows the whereabouts of this scope I would like to have it back.
freddeij: As a proud veteran from the 'Nam fiasco and resident of Montana, I take your last comment personally. I live about 20 minutes drive out of Billings and would love to help you find your stolen stick. I really get cranked up over this c..p! You can bet that I will be on the look out at our small club range, will now check out some pawn shops, and look at the gunshelves in this area. Did this theft happen recently and in what part of Montana? How about it, fellow Montana forum members? Let's see if we can pull a bunny out of our collective hats and maybe help out freddeij! MTGEEZER

It's the same scope, except a different reticle. The only scope I'm aware of that was built to different specs were the MilSpec NightForce NXS. There may have been more, I'm just not aware of any.
You guys in the Army using the "mil grid" reticle? lol

I guess, got a new one now. I personally like a scope with some good turrets and a more simple reticle. At least they will all somewhat match now, instead of 4 different optics with 4 different types of mil reticles and 3 different turrets/adjustments...a big step in the right direction.

freddeij: As a proud veteran from the 'Nam fiasco and resident of Montana, I take your last comment personally. I live about 20 minutes drive out of Billings and would love to help you find your stolen stick. I really get cranked up over this c..p! You can bet that I will be on the look out at our small club range, will now check out some pawn shops, and look at the gunshelves in this area. Did this theft happen recently and in what part of Montana? How about it, fellow Montana forum members? Let's see if we can pull a bunny out of our collective hats and maybe help out freddeij! MTGEEZER
MT Geezer:
Thank you. I was an "invited guest" of Montana for about 3 years (hunting season 2001 through the end of 2004). My friend's ranch is a bit west of Kalispell and Marion. I was coming back from eastern Montana... Roundup, that is the town I was visiting a friend from North Dakota. I was in Missoula with 3 other trucks caravaning back to Kalespell. I was in paying for gas with my friends, everyone was getting munchies, drinks, paying for gas. when there was no one attending our trucks three guys ran to my truck , Brad's, Kevin's and Dwight's trucks and grabbed our guns from our trucks. They took off and got on 93 and were gone. the locals showed up, took a report, and then sent the description of the vehicle out over the wire. a state trooper stopped them about 5 minutes out of Missoula going south and did not know they were holding stolen rifles. that was the last confirmed sighting of them. the ID's they all used were out of state. the troopers, the locals, and all of us believe after being stopped; they pulled a u-turn and headed north evidently. they tried to catch them at Lolo or Florance. they never made it to either check point. I suspect they were natives of Montana and lived in the south west part of Montana. Again thanks for any help you can give me.

MT Geezer:
Thank you. I was an "invited guest" of Montana for about 3 years (hunting season 2001 through the end of 2004). My friend's ranch is a bit west of Kalispell and Marion. I was coming back from eastern Montana... Roundup, that is the town I was visiting a friend from North Dakota. I was in Missoula with 3 other trucks caravaning back to Kalespell. I was in paying for gas with my friends, everyone was getting munchies, drinks, paying for gas. when there was no one attending our trucks three guys ran to my truck , Brad's, Kevin's and Dwight's trucks and grabbed our guns from our trucks. They took off and got on 93 and were gone. the locals showed up, took a report, and then sent the description of the vehicle out over the wire. a state trooper stopped them about 5 minutes out of Missoula going south and did not know they were holding stolen rifles. that was the last confirmed sighting of them. the ID's they all used were out of state. the troopers, the locals, and all of us believe after being stopped; they pulled a u-turn and headed north evidently. they tried to catch them at Lolo or Florance. they never made it to either check point. I suspect they were natives of Montana and lived in the south west part of Montana. Again thanks for any help you can give me.
Wow, you've got 4 trucks and gear plus the hunters paying non-resident fees for tags, you are all dumping money into Montana and this happens and the dirt-bags were quite possibly locals? I am truly sorry for all of you! Seems unlikely the thieves would have a clue about "wildcat" cartridges so probably sold yours for pennys on the dollar and somewhere in the sale and trading of stolen property, someone knew they were looking at a very high-end scope, snatched it up, and put it on their gun just like they owned it! Sad, sad, sad. I am still going to be keeping an eye out; either of those markings on a wood stocked Model 70 would certainly catch my attention! Hey, who knows.... GEEZER

Good for Leupold for getting another military contract. Hope it works out. But not all of their products are made here. I also believe their glass comes from Japan like other companies. As to the gentleman losing his gun that's terrible. That's why we can't camp on the southern border here anymore, unless we leave a guard in camp. Between fellow hunters and coyotes staking out your camp you can't leave anything exposed. Also I've had terrible customer service and products from Leupold, so haven't used them in over going on ten years now.

I believe Leupold has built the best scope they possibly can with the MK 5HD. I have traded, bought, & sold until "almost" all my rifles are Impact actions, MK 5HDs, & Bartlein barrels with a couple of Hawkhills. I gave 1 MK 5HD a test I didn't intend on. Going down a mountain a rock rolled under my foot & I fell on my rifle scope down. A couple of days later I did a tall target & a box test with it.…..perfect tracking. The MK 5HD is on another level than thier other scopes. The VX model may track & hold zero well, but I place high value on good turrents & they are to mushy for me while the 5HDs are firmer & more tactile the my ATACRs. Owning both I can't see ever buying another ATACR. My goal now is trying to get all my reticles PR2-Mil or CCH.