Leupold Mk5 chosen for military

I believe Leupold has built the best scope they possibly can with the MK 5HD. I have traded, bought, & sold until "almost" all my rifles are Impact actions, MK 5HDs, & Bartlein barrels with a couple of Hawkhills. I gave 1 MK 5HD a test I didn't intend on. Going down a mountain a rock rolled under my foot & I fell on my rifle scope down. A couple of days later I did a tall target & a box test with it.…..perfect tracking. The MK 5HD is on another level than thier other scopes. The VX model may track & hold zero well, but I place high value on good turrents & they are to mushy for me while the 5HDs are firmer & more tactile the my ATACRs. Owning both I can't see ever buying another ATACR. My goal now is trying to get all my reticles PR2-Mil or CCH.
Good to hear
If you take Furmans word for it the mk5s won't even hold zero riding in a utv

There are a few that some hold to a higher standard to for whatever reason, when there are plenty enough guys that fly under the radar that have exponentially more time behind optics and in the field. Not sure why some believe only what a few guys put on the internet.

Last edited:
There are a few that some hold to a higher standard to for whatever reason, when there are plenty enough guys that fly under the radar that have exponentially more time behind optics and in the field. Not sure why some believe only what a few guys put on the internet and that it.
Totally agree

Good to hear
Not sure who Furman is. I do believe a lot of scope opinions are based on sponsorships & money invested. I know on the PRS trail a lot of the top shooters have sponsor. Even if they have a scope that won't track within 1%, if it is a repeatable error they can enter that into thier ballistic solution & still be on target. You enter the error once on a kestrel & it stays there.
Even though I like Leupold overall I think the Mark 5HDs are built to a higher standards for reasons not worth getting into. I do a tall target test & box test on all my scopes when new, if an accident happens, or once a year. I've never had a MK 5HD or ATACR that didnt hold true. I hear the Leupold warranty is good, but never had to use it. I see people buying a certain brand because they know it has a good warranty program from theirs or friends experience sending them in. I don't want a scope that "needs" a good warranty program. Good luck & best wishes!