Leupold Mk 4 Reliability??

MTNRaine

Well ive finally narrowed my choice for a scope down 2 a leupy 4.5-14x50 MK4 m1 with a TMR reticle. Anyways i heard from a few sources that leupolds repeatability in tracking an reliabilty with ur scope maintaining its zero has gone down the toilet lately.:( I was wonderin if its true that their quality isnt up to par or if people r just blowin smoke out...:rolleyes:
As always all input is greatly appreciated.
THanx
Cameron

Last edited:
I have a leupold 4.5-14x40 Mk4 PR and it works fine. Now I do have a complaint about it. Shortly after recieving it I had to send it back to leupold for repair and when I got it back it turned out that they had a replace the internals.

Never owned a Mark 4 but have several Lupy higher end scopes. Last year I had two go down in one season. Both newer 30 mm tube LR scopes. I sure am glad I take extra rifles with me when I go out west to hunt. Both were repaired and returned with no explination. Cutomer service was great with turn around time and no charge was incurred by me except out shipping.

I have since started buying Zeiss for about the same money. I am VERY PLEASED with the Zeiss. You may want to look at them.

Jeff

As you're also hearing over on the Hide (and Blaserpro too?), the Mk4's are good to go. I've had several, older and newer, and have never had a problem. I suppose if you actually drive over them with the Humvee, you might have to rezero, but I've never had to, even after harder falls that I care to admit to.

I'm about to pick up yet another (the new FFP design), and I have no doubt it will meet Leupold's earned reputation.

well thanx 4 ur input guys i've made up my mind im goin with the leupy. besides wat do i have 2 lose it has a lifetime warrenty!

Broz
The only thing holdin me back from the zeiss is that with a 1 in tube is that i dont think i hav enough elevation adj. to get 2 how far i wanna shoot(1200) or if it does its cuttin it very very close

They are a great scope and you will be nothing more than happy with. God forbid you ever do have a problem there customer service is the best in the business. On more that one occasion i have returned old ( Very Old) binoculars with some malfunction for customers of ours and 2 weeks later the current production equivelant shows up for the customer. Now unless you had some emotional bond to that piece of merchandise it is pretty nice to trade in some old bino's that cost you $200 for the current $700 equivelant.

As far as repeatability, durability and quality i think they are second only to NightForce. I would imagine US Optics and Schmidt probably beat them but in my experince of selling and using them i just cant justify an extra $1000 or $2000, i just cant see money equaling the difference.

steve

There was a post from a rep from McMillian stocks on the Hide that said the Canadian military snipers (I think this is correct) would choose any Lupy over any other scope. Just food for thought.

Leupys

I have two of them. They are easy to use and are perfect for New Zealand long range conditions.

They have been in the 40c deg heat of summer and the snowy 5000ft tops in winter, and no problems at all. I fully expect them to last a lifetime of longrange hunting.

They are very reliable and precise with both windage and elevation adjustments out to 1500yrds.

The 4.5 to 14

Titanium_7mm08_014.jpg

and the 8.5 to 25

pic7.jpg

The features of these scopes easily enhance longrange capability, especially with the TMR reticle which both of mine have. I appreciate the finer crosshair.

I have several 25x Mk4M1s and they test perfect to the extremes of adjustment and back.
They are true 1/4moa(not mils or IPHY), fine crosshair, simple as that.

IMO, If you take ALL factors into account, NOTHING beats these scopes for precision shooting in the field.
All you'll gain with higher dollar scopes is lost to compromises in several other areas. Compromises like weight, cost, power ring & focus issues, reticle subtension, adjustment & mounting standards and height, aftermarket.. And no other scopes offer the superb Alumina accessories.

Somebody name one scope that matches every attribute of a Mk4, AND, offers anything at all better. I don't know of any.
It is simply 'the standard' in my view.

As you have read they are great scope! Leupold has stood the Test of Time over and over again and again. I do agree there are better scopes out there but you will pay for them.

Also if you are not looking at getting illumination we have a very cool custom 4.5-14x40mm MK4 M1 done up for us.

Custom Shop Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm LR/T M1 MIL-DOT 949.98
Custom Shop Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm LR/T M1 TMR Price: $1,059.97
3499.jpg

Mike @ CSGW

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.