Leupold mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20 with TMR or SWFA SS 5.5-20

Jeremyc

I am wondering what would be the better scope to get. I have an opportunity to pick up a used mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20 with TMR from a reliable source, but it would cost me $1450. I have been leaning towards the swfa ss 5.5-20 but the leupold is pretty tempting. It would go on a 6.5-284 or 260 or 300 wm

Thanks for your help

Jeremy

Not positive which Leupold you are after, but without hesitation take the SWFA. The adjustment range with matching turrets/reticle wind every time.

I have both scopes.The TMR is about my favorite I really like open center,can aim right at a sticky dot or bullet hole.The fov at 6.5 is a bit limiting in thicker timber,look at the specs the 5x on the SS is much better.Not sure what the rev is on the Leo your looking at mine is 5mil per,the SS is nicer at 10mil .SS is heavier,can usually find SS for $1000 used.I have the Leo on more of a LR set up rig rifle,have taken 3 animals with it at 42-50 yrds,but real use to it.The variable is stiff on my SS so I put a throw ring on.For me I like the leo just a bit more but it ran me + $700 over SS.

I have both scopes.The TMR is about my favorite I really like open center,can aim right at a sticky dot or bullet hole.The fov at 6.5 is a bit limiting in thicker timber,look at the specs the 5x on the SS is much better.Not sure what the rev is on the Leo your looking at mine is 5mil per,the SS is nicer at 10mil .SS is heavier,can usually find SS for $1000 used.I have the Leo on more of a LR set up rig rifle,have taken 3 animals with it at 42-50 yrds,but real use to it.The variable is stiff on my SS so I put a throw ring on.For me I like the leo just a bit more but it ran me + $700 over SS.

Thanks, I will have to think about it some more. If I put it on my 260 or my 6.5-284 the leupold would be just fine, but if it is on the 300 win mag, I'd hate to have to work a patch of timber while I am out and not end up being able to see the animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.