Leupold CDs scopes

stw104

Has anyone had any experience with Leupold's vx3 CDs Scopes? Specifically the 4.5x14x50 LR pros and cons. How accurate are the custom dials from Leupold? Thank you.

I have used the CDS before and they are very accurate I have only used to 500Y , the more information you can give the custom shop the better, CHRONO your bullet speed give them an average , I use 5 shots , if you want your dial super accurate then do like other Custom dial makers ask you to do shoot your gun out to as far as you can ,and record the clicks to each yardage, remember the more accurate info ther better. Leuo CDS are only one revolution dials you may want to get your sight in at 200 to get you more yards dowm range, the first dial I had cut was a zero of 100y and max was 675 yards 270wsm 110gr bullet, so i would use a 2-3 yard zero . Hope this helps

+1 on what RamRod says. I have a couple of the 4.5x14 CDS scopes and they are excellent.

BUT that being said, their turret's are only as good as the information that you give them. You may chronograph your load but it may not shoot exactly at the turret settings due to manufactures BC's etc.

I do exactly as RamRod suggests, I get my bullet velocity, input the data into the G7 calculator (free for signing up on the Internet to the F7 site) and get the MOA for various ranges and then test them and record my actual settings if they differ.

The G7 program then allows you to "adjust" your input for how high/low you are hitting at various ranges and adjusts your velocity to match these points of impact.

I will say that the program that Leupold uses is a special one developed for Leupold by RCBS (according to their technicians) but I have found Leupold's ballistic program matches exactly to the G7 program. Noslers ballistic program is VERY different and will not match.

Most of the time my measured velocity is very close to what I need (but has never been exact) but I just did this for my 243 and it's measured velocity was 3,440 fps for a 70 grain Nosler BT. But my corrected velocity to make my settings match how the gun shot was 3,650 fps. I had the turret made (it is actually a M1 turret, not a CDS but that does not matter) for 3,650 fps and Noslers BC for the Btip and it matches perfectly.

For ANY manufactures turret, you have to shoot it to insure it is correct! Garbage in - garbage out.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts