Any Experience w/ Leupold CDS Scopes

ltrmc02

I'm looking a quality scope with low profile turrets that tracks well for my light weight standard barrel .308. I'm considering the 3-9x40 VX-2 or the 3.5-10x40 VX-3 but am open to suggestions of other brands similar to the slim profile of this scope.

I'd like something that I can consistently and accurately adjust to stretch out to 500 maybe 600 yards if I find the rifle accurate enough to make such shots. I just hunt whitetail with it and live in Eastern NC so our deer here aren't very big.

I see the VX-2 3-9X40 runs around $350 and the VX-3 3.5-10x40 is around $550. Is the VX3 worth the extra $200 in your opinion? I always thought it was just a few more lens coatings with a slight bit better light transmission but on SWFA I see there is a 12.5% weight increase between these two scopes so is the VX-3 a beefier or better built scope than the VX-2?

I'm using Leupold 2 piece base with the lowest rings so wondering if I could reach 600 yards with the adjustment of this 1" scope. It says it has 52 MOA of adjustment so sitting on a 0 MOA base do I figure on having half that amount of adjustment for bullet drop?

After having both...for my eyes the vx3 is not worth the extra money. But I have Zeiss sitting on almost all of my rifles now. The new terra line is very clear and custom turrets can be made. You should be ok with any of the models adjustment if you zero at 200 yds.

I have the VX2 w/CDS on one of my rifles but haven't had a chance to crank the knob up and down much to determine how accurate the adjustments are.

Given that most of your shooting will likely be NOT be 600, I would say that the VX3 does not offer you anything that the VX2 cannot do.

When it comes to whether or not you will have enough 'up' in the scope to get to 600 yards, I would encourage you to get a set of Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts. With the inserts you can adjust the cant (tilt) of the scope until you find the optimal spot that provides you with the most 'up.'

Signature Rings - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics

The only problem with the CDS turrets is that once you have them set for temp, elevation, and everything else you have to get new turrets if you go somewhere that is hotter, colder, higher, lower etc.

The only problem with the CDS turrets is that once you have them set for temp, elevation, and everything else you have to get new turrets if you go somewhere that is hotter, colder, higher, lower etc.

From the factory, the scope comes with a turret marked in .25moa increments. You have to submit your load information to Leupold in order to get a customer turret. Because of the possibility of changing environment and load being shot, I will not be getting a custom turret.

I don't really care about getting a custom turret made but was interested in this scope as I liked the look of it and wanted something slim looking with low profile turrets that tracks well. I looked at the CDS at Bass Pro this past weekend and wasn't crazy about the feel of the clicks on it and the marks on the turret were getting split by the indicating hash mark on the tube so I'm kind of turned off of the Leupold CDS at this time. I do like the looks and clarity of it though.

I have a really long Bushnell Elite 4200 on my .22-250 varmint rifle and it has some low profile turrets and I really like the way they feel and they seem to track really well but I can't find a 1" tube 40mm scope in the Elite line up that I like the looks of. The eye bells on many 40mm scopes are as big as the objective bell and looks funny to me. I like the eye bell to be about 2\3 the size of the objective, just makes for a much sexier scope to me :D The 50mm Elites look good but I really want to keep my 22'' standard barrel hunting rifle slim looking with a 40mm mounted on low rings but want the ability to make reliable adjustments for drop compensation.

Open to suggestions on what else to look at that's 1" tube 40mm, repeatable low profile turrets and looks nice.

Looking on SWFA for a scope is fun but I'm getting cross eyed by looking at so many LOL.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.