Leupold 3.5-10x40mm

Jim Hundley

I noticed in the Leuppy catalogue that a long range verticle turret can be ordered from the custom shop and installed on the VXlll.What are your thoughts on this possible set up.I don't have a need for a full-blown tacticle long range scope.I just thought that it would be nice to range an animal and then click the long range verticle to the approate setting for a "hold on hair" aiming point.Would this be better than a Boone/Crockett reticle?
Thanks,
Jimmy

Jimmy,

I think you will find that most of the guys on this site, range a critter and then adjust the elevation on the turret as you mentioned. Most of them have made detailed drop charts for their load/rifle combo.
If they use hold pver points such as the BC reticle of the NPR2 or mildot, they have shot it at those ranges to know exactly where the bullet hits with each line.

Stoney point target turrets are about $27 each and fit well on a Lueppy V-III if you get your wife or daughter to read the instructions for you - there is a little spacer that has to be taken out of the knob that causes it also fit a Burris.

4kedhorn and Brown dog market some custom computer programs that can be adapted to any bullet you choose and fit onto the turret. Brown dogs cost more than 4ked horn. I believe his price is up to two "pleases" and one "thank you". 4ked horn comes in color but he is slower to ship.

Just mention it as a flexible option.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.