Let's get this party started!

Still looking for the lonely wolf. Been tough around the area I hunt ( not much sign ). Wich is not a bad thing for the elk. But sure would like to get one. But oh well still fun wacking the yotes when they show up.

Uh oh! Here we go! 11 in one drainage, and across the river a friends brother missed one of eight sitting at 500ish. Most importantly my little stash of highly educated mutts is back in one of the hardest **** places to get a wolf killed, but I have the feeling that tomorrow or Sunday I am going to see how a 160 matrix .264 bullet flies at wolf flesh!

Pretty/boring morning! Dead calm winds, but they were GONE!
I had a really cool panoramic photo but it did not want to upload.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 151
Got the word today that the cattle were pulled off of the winter pasture, which pasture is behind my house and within a mile of the edge of town, last week by the stockman who saw two woofs, one black, one grey.

I was back there yesterday and saw no woof sign. Hope someone ain't blow'n smoke....

Well, doo doo! that did not go as planned! If any smoke was being blown it wasn't by my shooting iron!
Roy go get them!
I had 10 lambs hit the ground Yesterday so that put a damper on things! I still got out, burned some fuel, got a flat, had a flat spare, lost a lamb to a BAAAAA d first lamb sheep, and did not even see a coyote!

Need a baby sitter for those sheep?

I understand an outofstater doesn't need a license for yotes, correct. Though I could possibly, in my confused condition shoot a woof instead.....:rolleyes:

For years,the area I used to hunt in Alaska (13A) you were allowed 3 caribou. Now you can get one with a permit. The limit on wolves is 10 PER DAY! Anyone want to guess what happened to the caribou herds?

Our elk of the Yellowstone Northern Herd are doing better then a couple of years ago, but the elk winter ranges are closed to wolf hunting so sadly the elk numbers will never come back! There was wolves tonight on the Dome Mountain WMA, eating elk and deer in their safe haven.
Pretty frustrating, knowing that I could more then likely kill them, but it's closed!

It finally occured to me today what " smoke a pack a day" means!
About 45 minutes after leaving the truck for the rest of the day, you feel like you "smoke a pack a day" untill you return to the tin horse!
Man these dogs are gone! I have made some bad calls and strategies this year on these dogs, but crap, I can't even find a track now!
It's winding down fast!

If it's anything like the Airedale I had it will die trying.

That ol yella dog has seen her share of dead wolves and has been my eyes and ears for coyotes for years. Not much of a bird dog, but she is hell on coyotes. That Airedale left me high and dry last fall when I ran into a sow with some Cubs in the dark! It was real bad! She is lucky my daughter loves her, so she is still in training, she is scared of gun shots or even the sound of any type of gun action! Terrified of anything dead, but kills the hell out of chickens! Her saving grace is she howls and whines like a cross between a lonely wolf and a gut shot cat!
I was surrounded by about 250 cow and calf elk but ya can't see a **** one in the photo! By shooting time they had fed down to all around me but not a sight nor sound of wolf!
My poor old greasy horse got to enjoy some mountain grass, and even though we came home without burning any powder, we got to enjoy some brisk 0 degree sunshine and take in some amazing views!
Oh, and I made some horn hunters mighty nervous!

Mine was a tank a little over 100lbs in his prime. Very protective step between the family and anything that looked like trouble. My brother and an older neighbor used to walk the dogs in a large field at the end of the street, neighbor had a collie of some sort. One day 5 large german shepherd type dogs come over a hill snarling and growling. The guys were certain it was going to badly. Without a blink hair up charged the pack. I don't know how it was going end, but the dogs pulled up looked at each other and turned tail. He was god awful slow, hated cats but couldn't catch them. One speed didn't matter if he was tied to a bike with 3 kids on it-same speed. I'd pay a lot of money to have him back.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.