Lets Discuss “Range Etiquette” for a moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My range is the pipeline going through my land, I can shoot to 1170 yds. I'm lucky too, if I had to deal with some of the public range antics mentioned in this thread I'd take up golf or just sit by the fire and drink. My tolerance for obnoxious behavior is at an all time low and it doesn't seem to be improving.

So many of us are pretty dedicated in the art of not only proper shooting form but also building our own precision loads tuned for our rifles. Many hours is spent in the reloading room with the built up excitement at the next chance to try this stuff out on the range. Over the years I have seen some stupid things that make me realize some people could care less about us load testers or anyone else for that matter! So here are a few things that I absolutely hate and please chime in with what u have experienced! New guys read this and DO NOT DO IT!
1. If the range is wide open except for one person who happens to have a little blue reloading box open with nice neat rows of 5 rounds staggered with gaps between them to carefully keep his loads separated, wearing a can with a magnetospeed mounted to it, KEEP your distance with your stupid AR and refrain from pelting him with brass.
2. As mentioned before he has a can and is not wearing hearing protection so do not come to the next stall away from him carefully lining up your tank break on your 6.5 creedmoor with his face.
3. Do not talk to this guy unless he first talks to u. This is not the barber shop and serious business is taking place.
4. If the rifle he has looks nice and expensive, well it prolly is. If u want to know more about it, use google.
5. Use your 30x powered scope with 2 foot sunshade on it to check your groups. U don't need to go down after every 5 rounds to look at your target. And most importantly don't ask that guy that is mentioned on the first 4 do not do items if he can check your target for u cause u can't see your shots!
6. Lastly and most importantly don't ask for help zeroing your scope because u are trying to do it at 200 yds and not at 25 or 50 yds like normal experienced shooters. Also don't ask for Allen wrench set or tools cause u are to stupid to bring what u need to the range!

I know I forgot some things, help me out fellows on your DO NOT LIST while u are at the range!
I agree 100% with everything you said. Especially #1. The next time I get pelted with hot AR or AK platform brass at the bench there will be a serious conversation taking place. Do these idiots not know they make brass catchers for those platforms? Funny, these guys are usually the ones shooting over some cheap rest or bag and throwing rounds downrange at the max rate. What they are shooting at (and probably never hitting) has always been a mystery to me. But it is entertaining to watch. I'm certainly no elitist and always willing to help folks out under the right circumstances. But when I'm zeroing a rifle, breaking a barrel in, or developing loads, please leave me alone.

OK, my biggest peeve is complete lack of firearm handling safety while others are downrange.

Club range has the following statement in our rules: Know and obey all range commands. Unload, open the action, and remove the magazine and ground/bench all firearms during a cease-fire. Do not handle any firearm including black powder firearms or stand at the firing line where firearms are present while others are down range. Handling of firearms while people are down range will result in ejection from the range. Do not set up a firearm or clean firearms while people are down range. Keep the action open and firearm unloaded until ready to use. On a firing range this means the shooters are in position on the firing line and the range has been cleared for live firing. All shooters must inform all those on the firing line of any unsafe condition and or misfire and cease-fire immediately.

We have drop down signs in front of every bench that are required to be dropped whenever you go downrange that state: Cease Fire, unload and bench all firearms, do not handle firearms or black powder guns while people are downrange.

How many ^#*^%@&% times do you think I am downrange and there are folks ignoring the signage? They get upset when I blast them a new orifice and ask them if they are ok if I point a rifle at them while they are downrange? Always get "don't worry" its unloaded. Or I am just setting it up for shooting or I am just showing my buddy my new infinity Creed. Our club has very nice directives to tell members to eject the persons involved and call immediately to record it.

I now use the range during the week since I am retired and this has not happened since using during the week but seriously, is this a common problem or is it confined to some hill rats in my area?

Are people that freaking stupid in gun handling at a range?

I used to get easily annoyed at the range by these and other annoyances. Now I just accept it. I don't mind being friendly or helping out. I don't want to babysit or have a conversation. Just here to shoot. But, now it's just par for the course. Factor in some lost efficiency as the cost of doing business.

WOW! The original post is one of the most bitchy & cry baby type posts I've ever read online (and that's saying something)

If you so anti-social that you are upset about someone speaking to you at a PUBLIC range, then you probably need to save up the money to build your own private range.

This whole thread is a perfect example of why I use the internet forums for information only. Too many people use them to whine, cry, & show their total lack of character. Most people online try to put on the impression that they are better than the next guy. Everyone is a bad-a** through the keyboard.

BTW, I only read this post because it came through on an email from LRH about popular topics.

It's really disappointing that garbage like this is actually popular!

GET A LIFE! and get a job while you're at it, so you can afford to build your own private range!

I too am retired and everyday is Saturday. I love going to the local 100 yd range during the week. Last weekend I went to my long distance club which has steel out to one mile. Thunder Valley Precision in Ohio. Two young punks were doing rapid mag dumps and then laughing because that's so much fun, SMH. So I asked one of them which target he was shooting at and he said that one out there pointing down range. I asked the distance and he didn't know. I asked if he hit his target and he didn't know. I explained the concept of precision shooting and asked if he would make aimed shots. I was nice about it but he and his friend left 10 minutes later.

So many of us are pretty dedicated in the art of not only proper shooting form but also building our own precision loads tuned for our rifles. Many hours is spent in the reloading room with the built up excitement at the next chance to try this stuff out on the range. Over the years I have seen some stupid things that make me realize some people could care less about us load testers or anyone else for that matter! So here are a few things that I absolutely hate and please chime in with what u have experienced! New guys read this and DO NOT DO IT!
1. If the range is wide open except for one person who happens to have a little blue reloading box open with nice neat rows of 5 rounds staggered with gaps between them to carefully keep his loads separated, wearing a can with a magnetospeed mounted to it, KEEP your distance with your stupid AR and refrain from pelting him with brass.
2. As mentioned before he has a can and is not wearing hearing protection so do not come to the next stall away from him carefully lining up your tank break on your 6.5 creedmoor with his face.
3. Do not talk to this guy unless he first talks to u. This is not the barber shop and serious business is taking place.
4. If the rifle he has looks nice and expensive, well it prolly is. If u want to know more about it, use google.
5. Use your 30x powered scope with 2 foot sunshade on it to check your groups. U don't need to go down after every 5 rounds to look at your target. And most importantly don't ask that guy that is mentioned on the first 4 do not do items if he can check your target for u cause u can't see your shots!
6. Lastly and most importantly don't ask for help zeroing your scope because u are trying to do it at 200 yds and not at 25 or 50 yds like normal experienced shooters. Also don't ask for Allen wrench set or tools cause u are to stupid to bring what u need to the range!

I know I forgot some things, help me out fellows on your DO NOT LIST while u are at the range!
Funny the looks AR guys give when you throw that brass back at them.

From to many years at being at the range I have come with a few irritations as well.
AR guys let's chill will sending you hot brass down the back of my neck!
Let's bring your target stand with you and not build it on site during a cease fire. Let's not nail your targets to the poles either. These guys do irritate me but amuse me me to no end.
Muzzle loaders do not fire from the most up wind position so your smoke distracts the whole line of shooters.
Give the other guy space , he isn't bothering you don't bother him. Why it is inparative to ask a guy you don't know a bunch of questions why he is trying to shoot is beyond me. If your that interested ask him when he is packing up.
This guy is my favorite , the know it all ..... easily identified by loud voice , telling the world how and what he is shooting , making eye contact to who ever will listen and coming over to start the unwanted conversation! I hate this guy!
Most importantly ..... read the **** range rules. Then after you read them , understand that means you too buddy. Follow the range rules because they are ther for a reason . One range I go to there is a cease fire at the top and bottom of the hour, not hard to understand but you would not believe how many times it isn't .

Status
Not open for further replies.