Lets beat this horse one more time

backyardsniper

So, I woke up this morning and decided that I just had to have a 30-378 weatherby, after looking at the possibilities with the 230 berger I was ready to pull the trigger on one. So much so that I went ahead and ordered a set of dies from midway. The more research I did I came to find out that they make the weatherby mark v in 338 lapua too. I love the 338 lapua, I have owned two previously and I have a new GA precision 338 that I just bought at my gunsmith right now being bedded into a manners T5. It has a #7 bartlein though and it is gonna be a bit heavy for any serious packing. I have a custom 300 win already and I'm looking to get an elk hammer. Which being as I'm from Ky it will also get a good deal of whitetail time, but like I said I have a 300 win for whitetail and smaller stuff. I'm wanting a packable size big boomer. The weatherby accumark is approx 8 1/2 lb versus the rem 700 police at about 9lb and the savage HS precision at around 10lb or the savage lrh at around 8lb. I really like ballistics of the 30-378 but since I'm already set up for lapua I don't know if it is worth the cost of setting up for the 30-378 for the difference in performance. What do you all say?

The 338 Lapua with a 300gr bullet will impact with more authority than the 30-378 with a 230gr bullet which, I think is what you are looking for? As for cost my buddy has a 338 lapua and a 338-378 and he's rechambering his 338-378 to 338 lapua so he doesn't have to feed two different 338's.

Yes, Yes, Yes,

7mm bullet out of any magnum size case will do the job to 1000, with decent placement. The rest is just splitting hairs and spending money. The important part is having confidence to pull the trigger and having the confidence to know it will be a good hit.

That said I have a 300 RUM, 338-378, 338 snipe and a 50 cal, because...... it's fun.

The 300 gr bullet does have more energy but actually not a lot more when you consider the difference in velocity that is possible with the 30-378. The biggest thing I'm looking at is the ballistics. With a 230 berger running around 3050-3150 which I think is very doable, you're looking at around 19-20 moa to get to 1000yds which means it needs approx 4moa to get to say 400yds. Now for a hunting rifle this is important because while hunting I can pre dial 2moa into my scope making me 2" high at 100yds and only 8" low at 400yds so in the even that a quick shot is nesacary I can point and shoot out to about 400yds which is as far as most of the shooting goes on where I hunt. When you get into the heavier 30 cal bullets the 30 cal becomes to the 338 like the 7mm is to the 30 cal, longer slimmer high bc bullets being driven at extreme velocity. Not to mention It is a cool round and not everybody has one. Do the accumarks produce the kind of accuracy to be able to hunt with them at the magical 1000yd line though?

ha ha I figured that was the best way to do it. I was about ready to pull the trigger last night I just had a few questions. I suspect If I do get one I may sell my lapua. I don't know for sure yet, but if i can get all the horsepower I need in a 30 cal then I will only have to buy one type of bullet for reloading, I can switch it up with my 300 win mag and that way I can buy in bulk, but I don't know. I probably would sell the Lapua though if anyone were interested feel free to pm me, I'll give you all the details on it.

I have a few 300 wbys, one of which pushes the 230 out at 30-378 speeds. LOVE it! BUT....I built an EDGE last spring and just might LOVE IT MORE!!! I really didn't NEED the EDGE....never going to go after elk, moose, or ???.. but I just HAD to have one. You can't go wrong with either.

There, now, did that help??? Probably not.:D

On a side note...this is "LONG RANGE HUNTING". Why would you zero ANY gun at 100 yards?? Zero at 300 and you will be good from 0 to around 350. No "pre dialing"..no holding over...just point and shoot. If you need to "thread the needle" at close range, just dial down.

Just my .02!!

If you're looking at something to push a 230 fast, take a good look at the 300 RUM. It's a much more efficient cartridge and apples to apples it will just about equal the speed of the 30-378 with a lot less powder. Better brass is available for the 300 and it's a lot cheaper too. To make the 30-378 burn all of that powder efficiently you would probably need a 36-40" barrel. If you build a 300 RUM you can make it easily outperform a factory 30-378 in speed. So in your original comparison, I would choose the 338 over the 30-378.

You are right there, the rum is so close it really may not justify the price of. Brass and such for the small gsin over the rum. Does anybody need a set of 30-378 dies. Ha ha

Being that I have 2 338 Normas, one may end up a 300 Norma when shot out one day.

Do the 30-378. Its what you want. I wanted a Lazz Warbird for a long time and finally got one. Very happy I did. Sure the brass is ridiculous and it burns a ton of powder but I love it. I'm going to swap the barrel out and run the 230 Bergers as well. You can always go to a different cartridge if you want later. Might as well scratch that itch.. Also ihave owned a couple Accumarks and they have all been very accurate. I don't think you would have any trouble hunting at 1000yds with one. Very nice rifles. Good luck

You wouldnt have any trouble hunting to 1000 with a 340 WBY accumark. I used one for 25+ now my son is using, Weatherby also makes a 338 LA.

In my eyes the 30-378 is on its way out. There are to many cartridges that are either more efficient as far as cheap our will out produce the 30-378. The 300 win and 300 rum are great you need bigger go to the 300-338 lapua im. I have seen the 210 vlds work out of the 30-378 at 31-3150 but the brass falls apart. Or you are backed off and at rum speeds. Not sure everything will come together and chime at over 3100 in the 30-378 unless some new powder is being used when pushing the 230.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts