Let’s see your coyote rifle!

So other than tanning out the hide or taking it to a tanner what do you do with the yote?
When I was younger much younger we shot them on our farm and just drug them to the back side of the farm where nothing would mess with them except buzzards. Some times our bone pile was really stinky. The little farm where we lived at had cattle and a decent creek that ran through it. The yotes used it for a highway at night and every once in a while we would loose a calf. So for me and a friend of mine it was like permission to kill at will. Man if we would of had callers and all the fun stuff it would of been crazy. At best we had a spot we set at that we could see the creek bottom and shoot them as we seen them right before last light. We also would catch them in the field just above the creek if we waited long enough. We used a 30-06 and a 270 win. I remember one night when the moon was so full you could see through you scope and make out colors the yotes were thick. I counted about 35 plus in one pack. Now day my parents are much older and only raise some chickens. My brother now has a house there and he has a few horses. They no longer have cattle but when i go down to Texas you still here many of them howl or you will hear the yelping at night. Its crossed my mind a few time to go back and have a little fun but its so growed up now with mesquites our spot we used to set you cannot shoot through for the brush. I could probably use buckshot in a shot gun close up for some fast action.

My go to song dog slayer is my MSR chambered 6.8spc ARP, a home build Special!
A3A9B838-569F-4740-96CA-67E9C435B7D2.jpeg

The other is my new toy, a Howa 1500 6 creedmoor a Boyd's stock. Have yet to do more than paper punch, between weather and too much work. Less than 40 rounds through it and it is already stacking rounds in the same hole with factory ammo! I'm loving this round
53C192CD-EE7D-4865-8F47-69D7EF7E7F22.jpeg

B5AB7E3B-0A58-45B5-B74F-41B22437FDF4.jpeg
This is 6 rounds. The one pulled is 100% shooters fault

View attachment 235203
The other is my new toy, a Howa 1500 6 creedmoor a Boyd's stock. Have yet to do more than paper punch, between weather and too much work. Less than 40 rounds through it and it is already stacking rounds in the same hole with factory ammo! I'm loving this round
View attachment 235204
View attachment 235206This is 6 rounds. The one pulled is 100% shooters fault
I have four Howa's and all are amazing tack drivers! Did you know that All Weatherby Vanguard's, and S and W rifle barrels are Howa

Last edited:
I have three Howa's and all are amazing tack drivers! Did you know that All Weatherby Vanguard's, and S and W rifle barrels are Howa
You're kinda right. All Weatherby vanguards are howa 1500's. They make them for Weatherby in their entirety. I'm a huge fan. I probably have near a dozen of them. I've got several laying around waiting on barrels, and one at the Smith now having a 1-8.5 twist light varmint barrel from ER Shaw spun on and threaded in 270wby. I'm going to make those 170gr burgers scream. Also waiting on a CF barrel for my 300wsm. I buy them all the time for $300-$400 and order a new barrel. Excellent donor actions. The accugaurds are also amazing rifles, and it looks like they halted production on them. It may be the best $800 rifle on the market anywhere.

Attachments

• 20201121_173701.jpg
    20201121_173701.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 105
I have three Howa's and all are amazing tack drivers! Did you know that All Weatherby Vanguard's, and S and W rifle barrels are Howa
I have heard they are basically weatherby that are not machined quite as nice. I'm sure there is more to it though.
I got my barreled action on Brownells on sale for $249. Hard to beat my whole setup up for under $700!

I have heard they are basically weatherby that are not machined quite as nice. I'm sure there is more to it though.
I got my barreled action on Brownells on sale for $249. Hard to beat my whole setup up for under $700!
They are machined beautifully...and as stated... amazingly accurate at any price. This target is from a Howa in GRS stock delivered to my door 45 minutes earlier. Mounted a FX 1000 scope for a buddy..bore sighted and taken to the field...the four stringers were getting on target...the hole has 7 rounds at 100 yards....gun and scope 1 hour old. The red dot is 1".
IMG_20190602_121118.jpg

View attachment 235203
View attachment 235204
View attachment 235206This is 6 rounds. The one pulled is 100% shooters fault
Your song dog looks sleepy with that big yawn!

They are machined beautifully...and as stated... amazingly accurate at any price. This target is from a Howa in GRS stock delivered to my door 45 minutes earlier. Mounted a FX 1000 scope for a buddy..bore sighted and taken to the field...the four stringers were getting on target...the hole has 7 rounds at 100 yards....gun and scope 1 hour old. The red dot is 1".View attachment 235220
Was that your gun bearer doing the shooting for you or did you actually do something for yourself? I could have probably shot the first four holes with any of my rifles. That little hole in the 1-inch red circle eludes me. There has to be something in your rum!

What kind of dog do you have that enjoys that kind of work, and isn't there a real risk of rabies or some other fatal canid disease being transmitted in that fight? I've always wondered that when I've seen people use dogs on yotes
I use my Rottweiler , he's 3 130 lbs and he loves it. When I get the coyote call and rifle out he will literally spin in circles a million miles an hour. When I see a coyote and my dog sees him his whole body is shaking he cant wait till I say "Get em". He gets his rabies vaccine every year I talked to my vet a lot about this and he said keep immunizations current and he will be fine. The only thing I worry about is wolves honestly cause he would pile into one same as a coyote for sure but, Id never send him out on one. Ive thought about getting him a "hog cut vest" but he hasn't got bit good yet hes big and strong but he is smart too

We've ran cat and bear hounds my whole life and rabies is the least of the worries. I,ve stitched up a lot of hounds from fighting bears and getting swatted by a bayed up cat. I used to use my Pitbull for this but she is 9 now and she was way harder on the coyotes then my Rottweiler has ever been.

Was that your gun bearer doing the shooting for you or did you actually do something for yourself? I could have probably shot the first four holes with any of my rifles. That little hole in the 1-inch red circle eludes me. There has to be something in your rum!
Always have 2 first before shooting....calms the nerves...lol....and I was only using ONE EYE!

Always have 2 first before shooting....calms the nerves...lol....and I was only using ONE EYE!
On the way back to the doctor. My wife is pretty trashed with seven broken bones in her left foot.

I have found that if I mount a pair of binoculars to the top of my rifle, I can use both eyes at once. I cant shoot for S##t, but I can see a pretty wide field of view.