Leopold...I just dont get ity.

The NXS is really what put NF on the map. NF could have hung their hat on it with many excellent reticles and options for it. Over the years they could have worked in better glass and higher power ratios in lighter designs, and many other innovations. But instead, well, they didn't.
And they forgot what put em on the map.

It's a technology problem.
1st you learn eventually that it never pays to be an early adopter while technology offered is quickly and constantly changing. Where you invest in their flagship, and the company abandons it, your investment loses value overnight,, and you end up wishing you had waited to see things settle out.
2nd you learn(as an early adopter) that company efforts spread all over the map, are not company efforts focused on perfecting their flagship(your interest & investment). So instead of improving their NXS further, it languishes, while the company puts out competing models, and even crappy models(like the world's heaviest old-school benchrest thing).
And so they're already competing with themselves, like Leupold..

Now NF & Leupold are no longer innovators. They're now heavy merchandisers, who merely watch, emulate, and undermine any new/popular innovations to hit the street.
Do you think they would just happen to suddenly, and simultaneously, come around to ED glass, lighter models, and higher mag ratios -if not for MARCH?
Absolutely not..
It's big business now..

Very interesting input. I can see where you are coming from and I appreciate your explanation. With the exception of their benchrest models, I don't see them making the other scopes lighter weight since it is part of their "bullet proof" design, but the rest of it makes sense, I'd just never thought of it.

Leupold earned the reputation for me. When I first starting shooting competition, I started w/ a Weaver scope. It shot well right up till it failed, eventually I sent it back and a month later it was returned. The note said the scope was within factory specs. I then went with Sightron, eventually it failed but could not be returned as it had to be modified to hold impact. I then went with Nightforce. It never failed but weighed in at 1-1/4 lbs heavier. The problem with nightforce is their warranty is only with the original owner. I sold the nightforce and bought the comp series Leupold. Like others it eventually failed, I sent it in and it was returned 3 weeks later corrected. I have won more matches with it after that than all the other scopes combined.
Vortek, I have owned two and do not anymore, heavy and poor eye relief. I now own a Nightforce but also own two Mark 4's and will probably sell the Nightforce just because I had traded for it.
As far as the guy testing scopes yrs ago the VX3 was not even made till about 2 yrs ago. You might have tested a VX111 or probably the Vari x 111 of which I own two of these and both are better than either Vortek I owned.
The one thing I wish Leupold could do, is have the same eye relief throughout the entire range of magnification.
What do you have those scopes mounted on a 105mm howitzer lol

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts